Houzz Logo Print
livelaughlove321

Alpine White Granite kitchen question

Hi,

I just picked out my Alpine White Granite Slab for the kitchen and I was wondering if I should do a full backsplash. The granite slab I picked out makes a bold statement with lots going on (why I love it so much) and I was wondering if it would be too much as a backsplash. I love the look of uniform (all being the same) but having second thoughts because of my granite choice. Thoughts please. Pics of my slab and kitchen to be below.

コメント (23)

• retroearth
    8年前

way too much for a backsplash. I would pick a plain tile that matches the color of your cabinets. I wouldn't want anything to take away from the drama of the granite. Although I wonder how a black backsplash would look. What are you doing for the floor?

• livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

decision on floors is next. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with a granite this busy. Black backsplash is a good idea - thank you for your input.

• miacometlady
    8年前
    I personally think that continuing granite up as a backsplash works better with less busy granite such as in my first two photos. Not so much as in second set of photos.
  • miacometlady
    8年前
    actually my second picture has a pure white granite... So there you go.
  • livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank you for the visual!
  • alicejean
    8年前
    If you like uniformity, I would go for it. If not, I would do a backsplash in one of your lighter colors both for the effect and for ease of maintenance.
  • miacometlady
    8年前
    I suppose you could run the granite as a backsplash and use white granite as a counter..... It would really be a show stopper but very busy! It would really be a personal choice!
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I love that slab! My first impression is to keep it as THE focal point in the room, much like art. I would suggest using it on the wall above the range under a dramatic hood only. Then select a far less busy marble or Silestone for your counter surfaces and backsplash for much needed contrast.. perhaps a deep color such as Altair (shown below) in Silestone or you may want to keep it light in tone and select a creamy white.

Otherwise as a second option I would suggest using it on the one wall you provided a photo of and use it for both the backsplash and range wall but again inky use it with a complimenting solid tone in either Silestone or Caesarstone for your counter surfaces. I would not use it as a counter surface unless your kitchen was extremely contemporary and used in a waterfall application as it's truly far too busy for traditional architecture and it will become dated overtime. It's a statement stone so keep it as such. Less is more in this application!

Either way your kitchen will be Stunning!

• PRO
    Steven Richards and Associates, Inc.
    8年前
    I would look at using a subway tile, the creamy off white color of the cabinets, then perhaps a dark gray or brown grout...
  • Ann
    8年前

I love the slab! However, I wouldn't use it as backsplash. I'd go with a very simple tile in a simple pattern with matching grout. I'd let the counter "own" the show.

• livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I love all these ideas. since I'm going through a builder my option at this time is with or without a backsplash- if I ask for no backsplash they automatically put a backsplash behind the range only and 6inch for the rest of the kitchen. So,that being said, do I remove the slab behind the range to do subway tiling all around or do I leave the backsplash behind the range and do subway tiling for the remainder of the area?

• Ann
    8年前

I'd convince the builder to do no backsplash anywhere. Sometimes they resist a little, but that's usually easy to convince them. Don't let them put in a short backsplash because you'll need to remove it before putting in the tile you choose. Otherwise, having a tile splash on top of a short splash will look far inferior!

• katinparadise
    8年前

That granite is spectacular! I would opt for no backsplash and consider a very large subway tile to minimize grout lines or even a backpainted glass backsplash. Clean, simple and dramatic.

• alcova
    8年前

Do you have pics!!' I've just picked the same granite.

livelaughlove321さんはalcovaさんにお礼を言いました
  • livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Hi @alcova I will post pics as soon as it's installed. Probably the next couple of weeks!

• livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Here is a current pic of what the builder has done. They made a mistake--we picked out white subway tiling to go as the backsplash but instead they put a 6 inch backsplash and full backsplash behind the cooktop. I DISLIKE the 6" because the granite is to busy. We plan on changing the backsplash on our own after escrow closes, so now I have time to pick out a different tile unless you all think the beveled tile would look great!---any suggestions as to what tile I should use. I was going to go with the standard beveled white tile and now wondering if I should remove the backslash behind the range cooktop to put tile--we cook quite a bit and tile behind the cooktop might be a challenge. thoughts please!

• PRO
    Hall Design Build
    8年前

I would agree with taking out the 6" backsplash. Keeping the full granite backsplash under the range would be a great focal point, especially with the granite you have chosen! Maybe find a way to frame that granite backsplash with something like tile trim molding. Otherwise, the edges next to the white beveled subway tile could look awkward, in my opinion.

• livelaughlove321
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you--I love that idea!!! Didn't even think of a trim around it!

• Rosemary Zummak
    8年前
    Very beautiful! Just curious-when builders make mistakes, don't they have to fix them?
  • PRO
    Kerrock Countertops, Inc.
    8年前

Proper communication is very critical for these types of details. All details should be confirmed at the time of the template. If the contract said, Back Splash, that's what you get, unless revised to correct changes and approved with a signature. So, if the work was not completed as stated in the contract, then yes, the contractor needs to fix it.

• Kris
    6年前

I was wondering how your Alpine White granite is holding up after 2.5 years. We are considering the same for our kitchen. Thanks,

• Raymond Wohl
    4年前

Paint the wall above the beautiful Alpine white (consider new face plates for the five or six electoral( or paint them as well). The cabinets should not be darker than the wall around them, the accent color will make everything lovely.