Houzz Logo Print
pauline_giroux

Best treatment for 2 big windows

We bought a flat 6 months ago and have been busy doing it up. We're bearly at the end now but we are unable to move into the master bedroom until we put either blinds or curtains up.

We have 2 big (nearly floor to ceiling windows) in one corner of the room - one of which has patio door leading onto the balcony. We initially wanted to put some blinds but having done this in the living room with similar windows we are not too happy about the light leakage. As this is a bedroom we are looking for something as blackout as possible.

Space above and on the side of each window is limited so we were thinking recessed roller blind maybe.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you

コメント (19)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    Try these with curtain panels that go from side to side over them you can open in the day and pull closed at night
  • Pauline Giroux
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks both!

Brandi - does the picture relate to your comment? I am struggling to see what you suggest would look like.

Sally - I have never heard of this, but it looks like a great option indeed! I'll need to check how much it costs though, as we are at the end of our renovation so funds are a bit tight.

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8年前

Hi Pauline,

As you have found out, even blinds with blackout fabrics can have what is called a light flare around the edge. One great way around this is to layer a blackout blind with blackout curtains - that way, you've got double the blackout lining.

Alternatively, there is a system called Perfect Fit. This is where the blinds clip into the edges of uPVC windows without the need for drilling. Because these frames fit right to the edge of each individual window pane, they could really help with the blackout effect you're looking for.

Below is an image of the Perfect Fit system with a Pleated blind, but they are also available in blackout Roller blind fabrics, as well as Venetian blinds.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing what you do with your space,

Zoe

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8年前

Hi Pauline - wow, what views! We wanted to add that another option you may not have considered is full-height shutters. These can fold right back to the walls and work brilliantly with doors out to a patio or balcony. You may think that light seeping in would be a problem but we have two solutions. Solid-panel shutters reduce light levels, but our Plantation shutters also come in a 'black out' version, developed for spaces like home cinemas where you want things really dark. Have a look at the details here: http://shutter.ly/1tBo0tK

Hope you find a solution that works for you. Lucky to have so much glass in that room. Best, Shutterly

• PRO
    Bohemian Works
    8年前

I have had good experience with a few different blinds and curtains and I'm happy to share my opinions about them.

The first one I can warmly recomend is Vertical blinds. In my experience it blocks the light from coming in very well and does not leak too much of the light into the room.

I would also recomend Pencil Pleat and Rod Pocket curtains. In my experience the Pencil Pleat curtains blocks the light more effectively than the Rod Pocket curtains as it is installed in a bit different way. Both sets of curtains are yet very effective at blocking the light from coming in. Also I would say this one is the cheepest option of the others I suggested here.

Roman Blinds are also an option that works well. Even if these kinds of blinds blocks most of the light out, there is always a small gap on the side of the window where the light can lurk its way in from.

In my experience the very best blockage of light has been done with roller blinds. These are available both in automatic versions as well as in manual. Both the manual and the automatic blinds will block the light from coming in to the same standards. I lived in a house with these kinds of blinds and when the blinds were rolled down the room was pitch black even if the day was as its brightest outside.

Hope some of these ideas will help you to find the very best solution for your bedroom.

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    Wooden roman shade suggestion in relation to window covering dilemma , followed up by curtain suggestion to keep out light was the suggestion, the picture is for reference to roman shades
  • PRO
    House of Robinson
    8年前
    Curtains would look fantastic on those windows and I agree with the simple wave style curtains suggested by sallygraham but there's a slightly cheaper option of tracking instead of Silent Gliss from a company called evans. Lots of soft furnishing makers local to you should be able to help.
  • PRO
    At No 19
    8年前

Hi Pauline - I agree, 'Wave' headed curtains with black out lining stacked as earlier described fitted on a curved, ceiling fix track is your best option. The best on the market in my experience are Silent Gliss and Aura by Tillys. The next best option would be Luxaflex Duette black out blinds with a 'LiteRise' operating system which avoids cords, however whatever style of blind you put on the inside of the recess will have light bleed becaue of the skirting boards. In the short term to allow you to use the room and save up for the 'perfect' solution why not consider the blackout version of 'blinds in a box'. Have a look online, they are a brilliant half way house. Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Pret A Vivre
    8年前

Hi Pauline the best and only solution for black out is to install blackout lined curtains. Silent Gliss Wave tracks will look good but are expensive and the stack back ( when the curtains are open ) is not as efficient as with other heading styles. The most cost effective hanging system is for a standard track with inverted pleat heading. Other hanging system which is much more cost effective is Distinction pole which is neat and contemporary looking. Dont be tempted with any sort of blinds on these types of windows. Roller blinds will become unbalanced very quickly with the air movement with the door open; you get scuff / dirt marks on the base of the blind when it is down; roman blinds will be huge expanses of flat fabric, slow to lift up and with a big stack at the top. Any other cassette style blinds work ok on smaller windows but will spoil the effect in this room with loads of quite large casing to fit them into. Look at www.pretavivre.com for some ideas for curtains on large windows.

• PRO
    A M Interiors Ltd
    8年前

Hi Pauline...I agree with "At No 19" Luxaflex Duette blackout would be great as the system would allow you to go tight up to the recess wall width...a roller wouldn't allow this as there would need to be a gap at the side due to the system. The skirtings do encroach on this a little so the blind could be made a fraction less in width to accommodate this and then you could put dress curtains at the sides using velcro on the wall edge to keep them tight up and avoid any light leakage. We use Silent Gliss wave heading a lot for curtains, and although it stacks back really tightly, due to the heading having to sit under the track, it always gives bad light leakage, so if you are looking for a blackout option this isn't going to tick all your boxes.

• PRO
    The Curtain Place
    8年前
    I would avoid any type of blind & agree that full length curtains with a blackout lining are by far your most attractive & effective option.
  • k11agl
    8年前
    I would go full length blackout curtains (pleated not eyelet) plus perhaps the duette pleated blinds. They do blackout as well as thermo, which is supposed to help regulate temperature in the room. I live shutters but somehow don't like the idea of having them in a bedroom. If we happen to move into this new build finally I'll be calling Duette and Hiliarys too to get quotes too. Massive windows in kitchen and the lounge above it... The master bedroom also features a window 264cm wide but only 115cm drop (and a radiator under it, needless to say), giving me loads of headache!!
  • Alison Heppell
    8年前
    Be careful with plastic lined blackout curtains you can't dry clean them even if they say you can ,the plastic perishes in sunlight after a time and clogs dry cleaning machines also comes off in patches ,I should know we have a dry cleaners!
  • Pauline Giroux
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you all for taking the time to send your suggestions - I wasn't expecting such a response!

I will carefully look into all the different options suggested before we make a decision. I'll post a picture once it's done!

Thanks again

• Pauline Giroux
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    As promised, although delayed, here are some pictures. Thanks all for the advice!
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8年前

Hi Pauline,

They look great! Great choice of fabric - you must be so pleased.

Zoe

• Pauline Giroux
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Very pleased indeed! We used Hillarys and the service was excellent.
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8年前

Fantastic Pauline. Glad to hear it.