Houzz Logo Print
elspumante

Granite help?! New granite looks terrible!

Randy
8年前

We just bought a new house that got renovated top to bottom before we moved in. Overall, we love it, but when we went today to install curtains, etc., we noticed several stains or discolorations on the granite. We are so disappointed, especially after spending several thousand to upgrade to the kitchen we wanted versus the one the seller (flipper) was going to install. Can this be fixed? What caused it? We only closed on the house at the end of this week and haven't done ANYTHING in the kitchen yet, so I know we didn't do it. THANKS for any help. We have never had granite before and are at a loss for what can be done or what we ought to do (aside from contacting the kitchen contractor, which we already did).

コメント (18)

• Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Here's one other area where the stains are visible.

• Sue S.
    8年前

I feel so sorry for you. I don't have any answers, but wish you good luck. This makes me very hesitant to get granite.

RandyさんはSue S.さんにお礼を言いました
  • hayleydaniels
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Did you get any sort of warranty or guarantee on the house? If so, contact the flipper and tell them you want it fixed. Take as many pictures as needed, nicely stand your ground and insist that it be fixed. Point out to the flipper that you paid extra for the upgrades, you assume he's a reputable flipper/contractor and is going to want to use you as a reference in the future as I bet he makes a living doing this.

One thing we've learned over the years is that if you nicely state your case without name calling, accusations and the like, chances are you'll get things resolved. Being very specific also helps--state exactly what the problem is without name calling and the like.

Randyさんはhayleydanielsさんにお礼を言いました
  • sandradclark
    8年前

I am so sorry. It would almost be better to have granite that is too busy which is what one usually sees.

Randyさんはsandradclarkさんにお礼を言いました
  • carefreehouse
    8年前

Try cleaning the granite and then appling a sealer. It looks like there is no sealer on the granite and that may be why you are seeing discolourations.

Randyさんはcarefreehouseさんにお礼を言いました
  • Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks, hayleydaniels, we have emailed the flipper and he agreed to contact the kitchen contractor on Monday. I think he knows this isn't right and he seems willing to look into repairing it. springcath, yes, it is granite. It is a leather finish so it's not supposed to be shiny. carefreehouse Yes, I thought the same thing. I don't know what a leather finished granite is supposed to look like with sealer; I have only seem it at the granite yard (unsealed) and in photos.

• itsmyowndesign
    8年前

do the stains disappear when the granite is wet? then applying a sealer might help. they don't sell it here so i can't test my theory on my own stained black granite counters.

i found out the hard way that some cleaners CAN make black granite turn white. even, believe it or not, bath soaps with 'whitening' ingredients were what contributed stains on my black granite. Also, MURIATIC Acid turned the granite white. if anyone wiped this acid over your black granite, the area would become 'stained'.

Randyさんはitsmyowndesignさんにお礼を言いました
  • Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks, itsmyowndesign. The company that installed the granite, Sims-Lohman, is coming out tomorrow to look at the granite. They offered to give me a cleaner but I told them I am hesitant to clean on my own and would rather they get the granite into the shape it was supposed to be in.

Good to know about certain cleaners staining and about muriatic acid.

• Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

An update, if anyone is interested: treating the counter with AquaMix Enrich and Seal worked wonders. It darkened the entire counter (but just to a richer black, which I quite like) and now the darker stains blend in perfectly.

• Karen D
    8年前

Please post a picture. I would love to see it.

• Danielle Avery
    8年前

I came into this conversation late, but I had an experience with the leather finish and ended up in the same boat that you did. It seems that even skin oils can soak into and affect the way the granite looks. We ended up doing something very similar to what you did, but at great expense because we didn't read the "fine print". So happy to hear that you came out with a solution that you were satisfied with.

• Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Karen Dumont here is what it looks like now.

• Randy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The AquaMix really darkened the dark areas (I know, doesn't make the most sense written out) and highlights the white undertones. I really like the end result and now there isn't any problem with fingerprints, watermarks, etc.

• granite guru
    8年前
    Wipe it down with acetone to remove the oily marks from fingers. Then have it sealed. Sealer may not be enough depending on how dense your stone is (absolute black?) if that's the case use an ager also known as a enhancer to give it that "wet look". it will need to be applied multiple times. Other than that there is not much you can do except be happy you didn't take a hone finish which is twice as bad for maintenance than a leather finish.
  • M Am
    8年前

Hi Randy -- and everyone else -- thank you so much for the update. If someone could explain the best way to apply the AquaMix I would be so appreciative!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7年前

Wow it doesn't look all that bad at all. It looks just like the honed Jet Mist granite I have in my kitchen. Honed granite is more porous than polished and will mark up more readily. However, it will disappear over time. Once you place things on the countertop you'll not notice it as much.

You should remember that all countertop materials have pros and cons, and none of them will remain perfect forever. Even the much-talked about quartz can get watermarks and chips.

• PRO
    Marble Maestro
    6年前
    HONED GRANITE is the best. So easy to maintain but like a great canolli you need to know the recipe or else where we going? Normal wear and tear and scratches, no problem. Oil stains , no issues. Hard water marks or whitening , ma getta here. All these are simple with honed. If ever you have problem, don't worry . The Doctor is now in the Houzz!!