Houzz Logo Print
daniel_cole8890128

Fireplace ideas

Hi all. I have recently removed an old fireplace surround because I intend to install a multi fuel stove. I have been left with some pretty dirty brick work and the rendering is a bit tatty. Has anyone got any ideas of what I could do with it? I'd like it to be light in colour inside so the cast iron burner stands out better.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

コメント (12)

• benburnett
    9年前
    Well, of course you could put in a black stove but a more stylish cream colour could provide that contrast you are looking for, especially on that dark hearth. As for the surround, Chesney's are fantastic if the budget allows. If not you could simply render it off very squarely as to give a more clean aesthetic. If you like the bricks, tri-sodium phosphate is the go to. It's used for this purpose and even for use after house fires. It's incredibly strong and full protection should be used but it will give excellent results for little cash. Knocking out the cement and repointing may help to give a neater finish especially if pigment is used in the mix for darker grouting. I'd suggest as you are in the initial stages to look for something called a gas poker. It's like a huge lighter and if you have a gas line to the fire area it can save you much time instead
    of fiddling and burning fingers trying to light a fire.

Best of luck with your project.
  • Daniel Cole
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks for the advice. I wish I'd read it earlier as I brought some acid based brick cleaner which doesn't even touch the soot. It's starting to look like rendering the whole thing out is the way forward. I like the thought of a nice clean finish anyway.
  • PRO
    Damian white Landscape builder
    9年前
    Hi Daniel if u look at my idea book this is a recently multi stove burner I hav installed I cd give you more details I don't know where you live as in locality of my work but I cd give you lots of free advice
  • Adam Collins
    9年前
    I've exposed the brick work at my place it looks awesome, but i have to repoint it next
  • PRO
    The Cosy Stove Company
    8年前
    We are a stove showroom that offers a supply and install package. Myself personally, I would go down the fire board the chamber route on the sides, square off the opening as the arch is small or just leave the arch brickwork exposed and split face oyster slate the back of the opening which will give you a nice light opening, the sides can then be painted a light colour. The hearth I would recommend something rustic such as an Indian stone which will tie in nicely with the oyster back. If you square off the opening this leaves you the option to install a beam or not. I have attached a picture of something like what I would recommend. The stove is a DG Ivar which at the minute is an extremely popular option.
  • iampeggysue
    8年前
    I cleaned my bricks with soapy water. You'll see that some of them look cleaner than the others, we had to chop out and replace some of the bricks. If you re point the brickwork and get the outside re-rendered the bricks will look nice and rustic, even if they are a bit sooty!

I like them the way they are so we've put down a slate hearth and will leave the bricks as is & paint the chimney breast white to help the cast iron burner stand out.

You may well have finished now, be nice to see an update!
  • PRO
  • PRO
    stovedesign
    8年前

Hi, I design & build one-ff stoves, how about one of these?

www.bespokestoves.com or www.stovedesign.com

• PRO
    Newbridge Heating Centre
    7年前

You could use Glasroc to line the inside of the opening and brighten up the chamber. This would enable you to paint the chamber with non oil based paint, and create a minimalistic look. The board will not crack or deteriorate with the heat of the wood burner.

• PRO
    Atom Interior Styling
    7年前

A Charcoal coloured retro burner will be going in this space.

• J Hen
    5年前

The company who fitted our burner sorted all the bricks for us in the price. Cleaned, pointed etc. Might be worth consulting someone first unless it’s a diy project.