Houzz Logo Print
ambermryan

Pink bathroom

Amber Ryan
9年前
I made an agreement with my husband that we would wait to renovate our main bathroom (see picture!) Im going to spruce this place up with just paint & new fixtures. I need ideas for a paint color to distract from the pink :( Preferably Benjamin Moore!! Thank you!!

コメント (125)

• Karen Westbrook McGrath
    9年前

I have a pink bathroom and was beside myself on how to re-imagine it. The tiles had to remain because they are set in cement. I painted the ceiling and walls a light grey, trimwork is semi-gloss black paint, also painted the cabinet in light grey with black porcelain knobs. All the picture frames are painted black with black and grey art. Looks mighty fine.

Amber RyanさんはKaren Westbrook McGrathさんにお礼を言いました
  • spatialthinking
    9年前
    Yeah, I was thinking painting the ceiling the same color as the walls might be really helpful here too...
    Amber Ryanさんはspatialthinkingさんにお礼を言いました
  • Alisha Smith
    9年前
    Had same issue. Originally painted the walls a beige/brown/taupe color and I felt it drew more attention to the pink tiled floor and peachy countertop. Painted vanity white, walls light blue, white shower curtain, oil bronze fixtures, and green for pop of color.
    Amber RyanさんはAlisha Smithさんにお礼を言いました
  • Depo
    9年前
    sacapuntaslapioz, why would you automatically assume a seller wouldn't disclose coated tile? Even if they didn't, that is not a reason for a law suit. People like you are the reason this country is so litigious. If your eye isn't keen enough to discern coated vs virgin tile, then shame on you!
    Amber RyanさんはDepoさんにお礼を言いました
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9年前

depo, i have never sued anyone in my life. but I would if I must. people who try to hide bad things in a house are more likely the cause. like freshly drywalling to avoid water problems. or disguising the lack of insulation. or painting just before a showing to hide moisture problems. Boy, some of you are getting fully worked up about this, wonder why????

Amber Ryanさんはsacapuntaslapiozさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9年前

Amber - a lot of beige will make it look more pink. Try the wallpaper idea in a green tone - like the olive or even a sea foam. And chose a pattern that is bold and confident - it will push the tile to the background. Your inspirational photo looked very french country - so use a damask (your husband would approve) or a toile if he's ok with that - make a olive green on natural linen color toile would be nice

Paint all the woodwork plus the vanity in a WARM ivory - BM paints are nice but Ralph Lauren has the best warm ivories - do a tad darker for the wood trim than the vanity. Then place the light taupe on the ceiling - it will be fantastic. Remove the mirror between the two sinks and hang a gold gilded painting frame / one that's very bronzie - filled of course with mirror! The mirror will look stunning against the wallpaper and create a whole new focal point for the room.

I understand the hesitancy of the shower curtain. Am I correct that you don't have a shower? All I see is a hand held - I assume for rinsing off. SO... chose a fabric that coordinates nicely to the wallpaper you chose and make a simple box valance to go over the top of the winder - maybe 10" - hard to say just judging from the picture. Hang it well above the window so it ends just below the top of the window - - that way it will make the window appear taller without removing precious light from the room. against - make it pretty - but bold - If you like the idea of the damask wallpaper than chose a embroidered fabric with vines or flowers - not too intense just elegant. Make the window the focal point for that wall - it will move the tile to the background. If you look above at my comment with the kitchen photo in it you will see what I mean.

A good cleaning of the floor tile can also do wonders - believe it or not but hydrogen peroxide is the best thing for cleaning grout - just pour it on, let it bubble up, then mob it clean.

Good luck!

Amber RyanさんはBusiness_Name_Placeholderさんにお礼を言いました
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9年前

Very funny tile. from distance it looks really cool, like a houdstooth pattern. from close is pretty blah!. but until you can remove it, paint it brown, or in metallic bold paint. or go insane with a wallpaper

Amber Ryanさんはsacapuntaslapiozさんにお礼を言いました
  • Amber Ryan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The shower & bath are side by side!
  • PRO
    by "MAC"
    9年前

I like Cal34 ideas in the exception of wallpaper. Sorry cal as a pro myself I do try to stay away from wallpaper in the bath. I get the impression Amber is trying to do a temp. fix with paint etc. I like your suggestions especially painting the ceiling. I certainly would not and I repeat NOT paint the tiles. I would live with them. They are not an eye sore and they are unique so decorate to your advantage. I personally see that the bath needs a light tone. I would paint the walls a soft cream as well as all cabinets and doors. I would paint the ceiling the Taupe as suggested by cal34. Towels and accessories can be the accents to add your pop of color and personal style. I see you enjoy French Country. Exchange the mirror as suggest above or re-frame it in mirrored frame tiles, to give it the french appearance. I'd live with the counter top until total remodel time comes and place a vase or favorite decor on it for enhancement. Look in houzz to get embellishment ideas. Good luck and I'm sure with all these great ideas you'll create a beautiful bathroom.

Amber Ryanさんはby "MAC"さんにお礼を言いました
  • Geneviève
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

baño peron · 詳細

Erica Islas - Silverlake · 詳細

I really think that beige isn't the color for your bathroom , grey or white yes. For the shower ,I would get a ceiling mounted track for the shower curtain ,this will protect your window from getting wet and eventually be damaged .

Amber RyanさんはGenevièveさんにお礼を言いました
  • Emmy
    9年前

Turquoise. Get the biggest bath mat you can find, a turquoise roman shade for the window, and then start adding turquoise touches. Turquoise knobs on the vanity. Turquoise ball jars. Turquoise trash can. You have too much pink to really "disguise" it, what you need to do is just distract from it. A bright, complimentary color is the best way to do that, imo.

Jonathan Adler Round Lacquer Waste Basket Turquoise · 詳細

Cotton With Velvet Border Bathroom Mat Home Rug 20"x31.5", Turquoise Blue · 詳細

Bali Casual Classics Roman Shades: Verdant · 詳細

Turquoise Blue Knob Round, Black Post · 詳細

Amber RyanさんはEmmyさんにお礼を言いました
  • russianbaroness
    9年前

Amber......love your "French Country" idea/direction. Go with a wall paint similar to the pic....soft, grey-toned....have a fabric roller shade made (or order a premade) in a gentle pattern that contains both the shell pink and the soft grey...something you love.

Fluffy white towels with a shell pink monogram. I think it is totally doable in a very pretty way. The great news is that the shower does NOT have a harsh, dated brass surround. It is a very nice shower. Go with your French country!

Amber Ryanさんはrussianbaronessさんにお礼を言いました
  • russianbaroness
    9年前

Sorry...didn't clarify...use a grey-tone on the walls that echoes the grey used in your pic...on the VANITIES. And, if YOUR vanity is builder's-grade wood tones, paint it out a soft white or off-white picked up from the neutral field in the pink tiles.

• russianbaroness
    9年前

Amber.....somehow missed ur pics of brown countertop. For now, use an appropriate epoxy paint in a grey that works with the grey wallpaint to cover the countertop....or, go to a stone yard to find a surplus/scrap piece of any Carrera-look stone, to use as countertop...in which case you might paint the vanity either soft white or same grey as walls. And, again, tying it together with a print fabric roller shade.

I have a friend who used one of the epoxy paints...white.... to cover a bright green laminate countertop....around the sink...and it lasted forever!

• Margery
    9年前

As far as I can tell, the hardware is silver so forget adding gold anywhere. The tile floor and up the side of the tub appear to be beige, so forget grey! I LOVE grey but not here!I liked someone's idea of painting stripes vertical or diagonal on the walls in taupe like the towels you already have (they look great with the pink tile.) and maybe a similar but darker shade of the pink. This is temporary so just adjust to the pink, at least it is soft! Buy a tension rod and hang something across the back to hide some of the pink tile or even across the front and hang a pair of curtains, they need not be waterproof is you use liners, just a pretty fabric. It'd be great to find a dark brown, pink and white stripe fabric for a shower curtain. Don't waste a cent painting the tile. I presume the window over the tub is the only one in the bathroom? Pink and brown are popular so you might even find a shower curtain at Bed Bath and Beyond where they have a good number to choose from, of Target. To me, the pattern on the tile while dated, is not obnoxious. For heaven's sakes, forget suing for every little thing, people!

Amber RyanさんはMargeryさんにお礼を言いました
  • newranch
    9年前

Amber, russianbaroness is right, you may have just found your solution in that wonderful French Country bathroom photo you posted. It's beautiful! I saw that you had a "gray owl" paint chip in one of your photos. Does it look good with your tile? The photo suggests that it does - that's a lovely soft shade of gray.

Would your husband agree to change the vanity top...even with a new laminate one? Laminate isn't very expensive and while I wouldn't sink much money into a temporary facelift, that would help you go in the direction of your inspiration photo.

Seeing the other photos of your bath was helpful, you have a great space! The gray rug on your tub looks so good in the room, I say go with soft warm grays and embrace the pink!

One last thing, instead of putting a curtain around your tub, which might seem odd in the space, why not put a curtain on your window that extends down to the tub area and have the rod extend on either side of the window frame to create the illusion of a larger window. A sophisticated geometric design, like your tub mat, or even a damask could be lovely. Thanks for allowing us into your home!

Amber Ryanさんはnewranchさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    9年前

Consider re-tiling with complimentary glass/ stone mosaic tile on the back window wall of tub and front of tub face, leaving the rest of the existing pink tile on side walls of tub and shower area. Repeat the same mosaic tile above vanity back splash. This will keep costs down, by keeping some of the existing pink tile. This buys you time, to save up funds to replace the existing pink tile at a later date.

It would look nice to have the laid vertical, to give the illusion of a waterfall effect similar to the first photo.

Here are a few examples of tile mosaic idea the would compliment the existing pink tile. The first one would look good with the existing counter top. You can also pull the existing brown counter top with a wood frame of the same color or some of that brown color in the artwork itself. I will often find coordinating color towels. Then I have my seamstress sew a strip of ribbon, or strip of patterned fabric or trimming across the bottom of the towel. This is another way you could pull the brown into the room.

Think about finding and hanging candle light to hang over the tub in front of the window.

This would be less expensive than wiring and adding a real light fixture. Find towels, accessories and artwork to pull out the mosaic colors.

Amber RyanさんはWyland Interior Design Centerさんにお礼を言いました
  • russianbaroness
    9年前

Amber, if you go with the grey/pink French idea.....maybe something like this fabric to DIY your own roller shade for window....over tub? Or, maybe the reverse of this.....something with more of a grey field...soft pink accents? You get the idea!

Newranch.......Totally agree with your idea to do laminate over brown countertops, if budget allows.

• PRO
    9年前

As a professional interior designer, I don't have any problem keeping the brown counter top and here is why.

* It might be best to spend money in other places that will make more of an impact. More bang for the buck!

* The brown counter top is a slab, which is an upgrade from a laminate counter, so it adds value to your home when you go to sell.

* The color of the brown counter matches the brown door. Do you start changing that too? That could starts that domino effect and add costs to your budget. The brown is a nature color and I consider a dark neutral. You can find several ways to pull the color in with accessories like I had stated it the other post above. If you remove the counter top, you will be looking at the dark brown door in the mirror, always. It will stick out like a sour thumb. I would recommend, to have the color coordinate through the room, with slight touches to pull everything together. Besides, I'm assuming the brown door color is throughout the house, so that would be a given keep the door the color it is.

You could also find some large framed mirrors to place on each side wall of the tub. This will help to cover up and disguise the existing pink tile, along with making that area larger and bring more light into the room. Easy to hang. Pilot drill a small hole through the grout and add nail there.

You could also achieve the french country look (just read) with remove the tile of back wall and front of tub. Then add painted bead board instead of the new mosaic. Or go with a different tile in keeping with that style. The bead board could be painted white to go with cabinets or a color. Make sure it is an oil base paint, holds up better in wet areas. I will still have a back splash of color, on each side of the mirror, above the vanity.

• Amber Ryan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The countertop is this like orangey leaf laminate! I'd like to replace it with Bianca Carrara marble.
  • PRO
    9年前

Or Valley Gold - it's a white marble too and less grey - be careful with Carrara - it can be VERY grey and looks sad in a room that doesn't get a ton of like.

Amber RyanさんはBusiness_Name_Placeholderさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    9年前

WOW!!! It is so hard to see things in photos. I swore it was a slab. New glasses might be in order.

In the Pacific NW USA, a new laminate counter top with laminate back splash would run between $400 to $500, depending on brand of laminate and style of edge and back splash. If it is in good shape, you still could keep it for the same reasons above, minus slab comment.

Here are a couple more ideas for a French Country look for tub area only. Drape sheer fabric or lace (maybe with a leaf print to complement counter) across window wall to help hide the pink tile on back wall. Install a decorative curtain rod that butts to the ceiling so most of the wall will be covered. Or wrap it around on all three walls. If you use the tub for bathing and worried about the fabric getting wet, find a fabric that is 100% polyester. Poly fabrics are not effected by moisture or wetness, they dry quickly. You can easily throw it into washer later for a more thorough cleaning.

One more idea, attach old shutters to each side of window. Leave open to hide pink tile.

9年前

Amber, perhaps you could share with us your timeline for what you are planning. Lot's of ideas on here but I may have missed your short term and long term goals. Short term being 6-12 months or .......?

Amber Ryanさんは1977さんにお礼を言いました
  • Amber Ryan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    My husband & I just got married this past July and our wedding cost a fortune so that's why I'm holding back on major renovations. We're young and don't want to be in debt. Also, my husband is a farmer, hence living in a farmhouse, so he really has that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. In the next few months I want to paint the whole house, decorate & do minor things. In 3-5 years when we start to have kids we'll do some major renovations. New bathrooms, kitchen, wraparound porch, finish the basement, In ground pool, etc. I'll post some of my favorite bathrooms!
  • russianbaroness
    9年前

Amber:

1.Grey paint on walls.

2. DIY (Google it) print fabric roller shade for window.

3. White towels (spend the $ on soft pink monogram....one initial is cheapest),

4. White fluffy Target/TJ Maxx/Ross rug.

5. New laminate counter top (or grey epoxy-type paint).

6. Fresh off-white paint on cabinetry, inside of door & on any wood trim.

7. If you have an overhead pot light, go to Worth lighting online and get an inexpensive "instant pendant light"....or if not, go to Home Depot & get an inexpensive, small drop chandelier.

You can knock that tile out, do a new vanity & Carerra marble later.....make the most of what you've got on the budget that works right now.

Just sayin'! You've got this!

• Margery
    9年前

Amber, congratulations on you recent marriage! But PLEASE teach your new husband to put the seat down and the lid, in respect to your needs! I will follow this reply to you with one to a self proclaimed designer which might interest you. You've received many 'professional' and well-meaning replies from amateurs, to your simple request. Many are valid ideas but most ignore your basic needs for an inexpensive way to improve the dated pink tile in your bathroom. I now see that you need the light from that one window but also see that it need not be a waterproof solution since you have a separate shower AND also a hand-held shower at the end of your tub. You really could hang simple panels of neat fabric from a tension rod across the back of the tub without covering the window, using very basic sewing skills, by hand if needed, to hide some of the tile and add an interesting pattern from which you could expand color-wise. I'm sure you can find something that uses the pink but introduces other good color combos too to inspire the rest of the room ,without great cost...a fact many seem to be ignoring. So many of the ideas put forth here ignore your basic needs and ignore other things as well like using grey when the basic tile on your floor and up the side of the tub seem to be more beige. I gather you want to make simple changes, not permanent ones, at little cost, to make it all more livable.

My only other suggestion if affordable, is to visit a local marble/granite/ceasarstone supplier, even a place like Home depot if you have them in Canada to see if you can find a remnant of any of the above to have a new counter top made for the countertop and possible a new not very expensive basin to replace the laminate one. If you chose a light color it would open up the space at a reasonable price, no need to overdo it. You could then paint the cabinets which are fine if you find a fabric you like to introduce some color and interest. Either leave the large uninteresting mirror which was the fad then, or replace it with an interesting hanging one if cost allows, but that means repairing the wall it was glued to.

I already love the combination of the dark brown towels with that shade of pink, it's very 'in' now besides!

Amber RyanさんはMargeryさんにお礼を言いました
    9年前

Oh my darlin', these early years are full of dreams and are so perfect. Keep your budget accordingly. You will change your taste a few hundred times over the years which is so fun in retrospect. You mustn't hold on to any one design scheme or fret about this bathroom. It irritates you somewhat but a farmer's wife's duty is to keep her funds in check! After nearly 38 years I have finally got my 75 year old house looking and living like our own all within a budget and child/grandchild. It has had a few face lifts until we could afford the full reno. Go to http://magnoliahomes.net/about/ and to her shop for affordable ideas. Utilize the uniqueness of your farm for inspiration. We have a farm in another state so I am lucky to have those family heirlooms to anchor our home. However, I do like the idea of the mirrors in the tub area. Above all else, determine and work within your budget. Forget about your neighbors, family and their ideas. This is yours and your husband's home now. God bless.

• Pool Habit
    9年前
    I just don't think it's even worth getting new fixtures as long as the tile is there. Try the paint over solution and then see. Just white will seem so refreshing!
    Amber RyanさんはPool Habitさんにお礼を言いました
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    9年前
    Amber I love the pictures of the bathrooms you've posted. You have great taste and I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. You sure don't need to worry about the pink tiles. Enjoy your marriage and keep dreaming!
    Amber RyanさんはTammy Lawhornさんにお礼を言いました
  • newranch
    9年前

I agree with Tammy Lawhorn, Amber - you have great taste! Take the suggestions here that interest you (and that actually address your needs/budget) and trust your own instincts. You have a good bath to start with, it can only get better. Congrats on your marriage, wishing you a happy life!

Amber Ryanさんはnewranchさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    by "MAC"
    9年前

Amber, as I have reviewed your post - many have excellent ideas. I actually love your postings of inspirations. Go with those. Just adapt and let them grow into your future plan. I like a clean pallet and the upper area, (walls, ceiling, trim), white. The cabinets a grey. Until you can replace the sink with a free standing porcelaine as shone in your inspiration pic. (keep in mind you loose storage). Over the existing mirror you can hang another mirror - Yard sales, antique etc shops and find a large one similar to your inspiration pic. and repurpose it by painting white and lightly sanding the sides to give it character. It gives it a French Nordic style when you place a mirror over a mirror, also adding depth. Even find small mirrors and hang them as you would pictures. Gives yourself time and do this slowly. Decorating is a project and make it fun. PS. keep the pink tiles and do not paint over. Unique. Enjoy

Now I would like to add a comment to Margery.. As a professional myself... Our mission in advising/commenting. Being adverse to others is not our mission. All and every persons ideas are an honest effort to express their design talents. Just because WE are professionals, does not give us credence to tell someone they are of less value. Thanking you in advance for your understanding and professional value.

Amber Ryanさんはby "MAC"さんにお礼を言いました
  • carriedish
    9年前
    I once chose the colors for a bathroom from a soap dish I fell in love with. I recommend you look at objects that appeal to you which include the color of your bathroom. Look at a lot of colorful shower curtains! You might not want the shower curtain itself in your bathroom but it can be really helpful in choosing color combinations. I also think a wallpaper book can be a great help in choosing colors that go together. Those are especially good because but the colors are shown in big samples so if can find one that has your pink in it you can see how it works with several different colors. Good luck!
    Amber Ryanさんはcarriedishさんにお礼を言いました
    9年前

As a reader and occassional contributor I appreciate when others stay on point with the original poster and refrain from personal attacks on another.

I love the soap dish love affair. I usually use magazines or Houzz for inspiration!

• Karen Smullen
    9年前

Love the french country scheme and here's a painting to bring it up to date.

Amber RyanさんはKaren Smullenさんにお礼を言いました
  • Karen Smullen
    9年前

Any art with this kind of sun set or sun rise subject with pink clouds and grayish skies. It will distract from the muted pattern of the ties and take you mind out of the room.

Amber RyanさんはKaren Smullenさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Courtney Lowry Architect
    9年前
    I had a dreaded pink bathroom. Painted the walls bar harbor beige BM. Tuned down the pink and made the tile appear more brown than pink. Added beige decorative towels and brown regular ones. Also changed the toilet seat from pink to beige. It's holding us over until we eventually gut it as well. Thankfully the sink cabinet was stained so it helps too. Good luck!!!
  • nicoleautogrill
    9年前
    I agree with Cynthia. Brown adds a level of sophistication to pink.
    Add a shower curtain to draw your eye away from all the pink.
    The bathroom appears to be in excellent condition. Maybe paint an accent wall brown. I tell so many people if the room is in great condition work with it. Change hardware, light fixtures, paint, towels etc... Much more affordable. Think of how much time you spend in your bathroom than see if you can justify spending thousands of dollars to change the pink. I say probably not.
    Spend the money to fix up the room you spend your time in awake.
  • Amber Ryan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I just changed all of the knobs. PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!! :)
    9年前

Pretty. But, take a look at your pic. They are sideways, not the same, caddywompus, etc. Nice rug/knob action.

• Amber Ryan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I still have to place them all properly! ;)
  • alapas
    9年前

Very nice!!! Knobs can make a big difference. You're on the road.

• russianbaroness
    9年前

Good job! They have a little of that French feel you were looking at.....keep plugging!

• PRO
    9年前

I like the knobs!! They have a feel of a fleur de lis - great find. II'm trying to "like" the post but it won't let me for some reason

• PRO
    Schlage Locks
    9年前

Amber, I wasn't able to tell what kind of finish you're working with, but you might want to consider updating your door hardware to compliment the finishes of the new knobs/fixtures and tie it all together.

Here's some info on door hardware finishes offered by Schlage: Stylish Hardware Finishes

• Rhodalynn
    8年前

Don't use a contrasting color for the paint. It will only bring more attention to this tiles. I have pinkish tiles in my bathroom and I painted the walls Benjamin Moore Pristine OC-75. It's a very soothing pale pale pink.

• randmsim
    7年前

You don't really have to cut off the light from your window to have a nice curtain in front of your tub, try something semi-sheer and draping or something lacey, you won't see the majority of the pink tile in the bathtub area but still get the light you need.

• PRO
    7年前

Amber - did you ever do anything more on your pink bathroom project?? Would love to see....