Houzz Logo Print
lindseylsullivan

Help decide LIGHTING for kitchen

(pictures are a bit darker under lights-dining room sits to the right of the kitchen-all open floorplan)

I would like to update the lighting in my kitchen/dining space. I am looking to purchase two new pendants for above the island and a light for over the dining room. We have the a rustic looking table with the Madeline side chairs in "Brown Oak Drifted" from Restoration Hardware. I am waiting to buy end chairs for the table and stools for the counter until I set a tone with the lighting.

I am thinking of the following options but am definitely open to any suggestion! Please help!! :)

**Option 1: (am worried they're too similar)**

Pendant-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IH1A9AK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A12W7U7OH6TAX0

Dining-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IH1B1UW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2G2ZY4XQGNRMN

**Option 2**

Pendant- Hundi Lantern (Pottery Barn)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hundi-lantern/?pkey=e%7Chundi%2Blantern%7C3%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C48%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

Dining- either the Linen Rectangular Pendant or Linen Drum Pendant (Pottery Barn)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/linen-rectangular-drum-pendant/?pkey=cpendants&;

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/basic-linen-drum-diffuser-pendant/?pkey=cpendants&;

**Option 3**

Pendant- Rustic Glass Pendant or PB Classic Pendant (Pottery Barn) -Both large size

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/rustic-glass-large-pendant/?pkey=cpendants&;

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/basic-pendant-kit-glossy-metal-bell-shade/?pkey=cpendants&;

Dining- ???

コメント (59)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    By the way I could not open the first PB link.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    Dining lights should hang 36" from top of table. I'm confused the ones you show. Are they for island or table. How many you have on island depends on length of island. If lights you show is for dining table. How big and what shape. The ones you show. Are not big enough for a table.
    lindseylsullivanさんはNancy Travisinteriorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • sandradclark
    9年前

What a wonderful large space for kitchen & dining. Are you going to add backsplash in the kitchen? What a great little nook in the wall area if you can find just the right piece of server or high hutch to fit that area. And the wall that juts out between the kitchen & dining area for a fabulous huge piece of art. You are wide open to add color in there. Are you going to go with drapes or Roman blinds (in color)? Let us know what you do.

lindseylsullivanさんはsandradclarkさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Bend Goods
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

Great space! We would love to see our copper Pendent in the kitchen. The honey tones in the wood would work really with the copper.

BEND GOODS Furniture · 詳細

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Thanks for all of the feedback, this really helps! We do have an updated curio cabinet for that space and my husband plans to do some artwork to put in that space. I wish we could do more than two pendants, but that's what the house is wired for. I will look for larger pendants with lighting the will cast well across the island.

Thanks again, everyone!

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Nancy, our table is 84'' long, a rectangular shape. I am not sure of the dimensions of the island, as we move in next week. I believe the size is comparable to the table. It is a long island. Unfortunately we can't change the wiring so only have wiring for two pendants on the island. What size would you suggest for their diameter with such a big island and only two pendants?

• Stefanie Fenner
    9年前
    I thought you might like to see a picture of the potterybarn rustic glass pendants against a chandelier. I went with this chandelier because it had similar lines and a shabby-chic feel. If you're wanting more rustic, there are a number of chandeliers on potterybarn that are burlap wrapped. I, personally, don't believe you need 3 pendants above your bar.
    lindseylsullivanさんはStefanie Fennerさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    9年前

While you can't easily change your wiring, you can certainly look for island fixtures that have more than one bulb. Kichler offers a 3 arm canopy that looks vintage cool with 3 caged pendants hanging at different levels. The pendnat I'm talking about is the 42308 OZ. I also like it with the 42225 OZ pendant. The 3 arm canopy gives you a 24" spread plus width of pendant.

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Cabinets 4U this is a great help! Thank you.

Stefanie, thank you for the picture. This does help me envision it better. Do you find that the glass doesn't direct the light very well or that it is hard on the eyes?

Carolyn, I appreciate the help with expanding the number of pendants. I will look for something like this to possibly extend our lighting!

• Stefanie Fenner
    9年前
    Great question. I believe, after testing both antique and regular bulbs, these pendants look best with antique lightbulbs. I use our numerous cans for functional lighting and don't rely on the pendants for lighting the space. If you're going to rely on the pendants to do most of the functional lighting and you prefer the antique bulb just know this combination may fall short of your expectations. I love the look but there is a sacrifice in function.
  • Stefanie Fenner
    9年前
    The antique bulbs are not hard on the eyes. The regular bulbs are ok but you definitely aren't going to catch yourself staring at the pendants for very long :)
  • PRO
    Santiago Bernal
    9年前

If you really want a change, and make a statement, dont select individual pending lamps. A new selection of the same type of single pending light, will give a very similar result. Select a rectangular thin light fixture design for an Island like yours. The following link will show your something that might be interesting: http://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=208168&cat_id=109 - or something with the shape and size shown in the image

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

i still do not think clear is the way to go in your large space. it needs more impact.

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Concepto Uno the link found and error. It took me to the site, but not the light. What was the name of the fixture I should look at?

I will want function too, so I will be avoiding clear I suppose.

Thanks for all of the help. Any suggestions for a light that will accomplish a. More full look?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

I posted the one I like, any feed back on what you think about it/?

• PRO
    Santiago Bernal
    9年前

The lamp is the Aperture Linear Pendant # 137901 Manufactured by Hubbardton Forge - you can also find it at the manufacturers website.

lindseylsullivanさんはSantiago Bernalさんにお礼を言いました
  • lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Flair lighting, I like the look of the pendant you posted. I like the style but may go a bit taller on the bronze cover of the bulb. I like the industrial look for sure. I am worried that it may not go with our rustic dining table or our living room. Our living room is mostly made up of pieces from Pottery Barn (all decor included) so it has that feel to it. I would like to explore more dining chandelier options, though.

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Concepto Uno, that is very unique and really like it. It is a bit out of the price I would like to pay, however.

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I saw a suggestion for a three arm pendant lighting. Does anyone know if there is a two arm? (A way to turn one pendant light into two pendants hanging from one spot)
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9年前

There are cluster series similar to these: I have not specifically seen a 2-arm version but perhaps Carolyn might know of a one?

Yardley Cage Pendant Lighting · 詳細

Menlow Pendant Lighting · 詳細

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Thanks. I'll keep looking.

Does anyone have any ideas as far as backsplash for us? I would like to tie it all together with a finished look.

• PRO
    9年前

A fairly new look is the arabesque tile such as the one in the link below. This shape is what I like and I prefer it in a large tile, now a tiny one. It comes in glass and ceramic. Both are charming.

.[https://www.houzz.com/products/525x625-glass-tile-arabesque-11-colors-french-blue-set-of-36-prvw-vr~22966179-Tile-Arabesque-11-Colors-French-Blue-Box-mediterranean-wall-and-floor-tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/525x625-glass-tile-arabesque-11-colors-french-blue-set-of-36-prvw-vr~22966179)

lindseylsullivanさんはCarolyn Albert-Kincl, ASIDさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9年前

Hey there..Your kitchen is just lovely.

I have a blog post that I think may help you out.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2014/12/03/lighting-inspiration/

I have a few suggests also.

Happy Designing!

lindseylsullivanさんはTimothy Rivers Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Carolyn, I do like the shape to that tile. Do you think that would look too trendy with such a "classic" look with the darker granite and wood cabinets? I also thought about doing a grey or desert colored subway tile. Glass or flat. I would pull a color from the granite. Is that the way to go?

Timothy, thanks for the suggestions! I do like that first light you poster. Do you think nickel is the right finish for that space? With the rustic table and chairs I was thinking that bronze would look best. What do you think? I will most likely have to upholstered chairs in the room as ends to the table, so maybe that would make it look more traditional and I could add in nickel...what are your thoughts?

• PRO
    9年前

I think that the arabesque tile is one that works in both transitional and traditional looks. A ceramic arabesque will look more trad than a glass one. I've grown tired of glass mosaics and the arabesque offers a newer look but one that can be classic.

Brady House · 詳細

Here is an arabesque tile in what looks like a pretty classic kitchen to me.

I like the look because it's a wonderful departure from the glass mosaics.

lindseylsullivanさんはCarolyn Albert-Kincl, ASIDさんにお礼を言いました
  • mia506
    9年前

When we renovated our current home, our drywall guy told us that bare bulb lighting was the worst type of lighting and always shows the inevitable flaws in the room's finishes. He is a master at his work so we took his advice and found a beautiful drum shade pendant with frosted glass diffuser for over our dining table. We put it on a dimmer and the light is perfect and soft. You have a lovely space...congrats and have fun.

lindseylsullivanさんはmia506さんにお礼を言いました
  • Scott King
    9年前

If anything I would paint the stove wall...too much white space drew my eyes straight to that space, then reconsider the lighting. You might consider dropping the ceiling over the kitchen area only...would give a cozier feel. Glass tile backsplash is cool...subway tile is timeless, I wouldn't use any busy patterns because your cabinets already have a lot of wood-grain detail showing.

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Thank you wasacampbell!

Carolyn, I did see that picture when I looked at more options and really love the look. I agree with you that I am tired of the mosaic look. To be honest, I never really liked the look of mosaic class. I just thought that larger glass in subway would reflect light well and offer some neat, soft color options. I appreciate your feedback!

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Skingftl are you suggesting that I paint the wall and the backsplash as well, and forgo tile, or are you suggesting that I paint the wall and add backsplash?

• PRO
    House Plans Helper
    9年前

How about a few lighting strips above the cupboards to glow towards the ceilings, and on the underside of the island surface to glow down the side of the eating bar? There's a whole raft of ideas at House Plans Helper - Kitchen Lighting Ideas

lindseylsullivanさんはHouse Plans Helperさんにお礼を言いました
  • davidb209
    9年前
    I would install under cabinet lighting for food prep
  • ladypat
    9年前
    I like both the linen lights from PB. Could you use the rectangular one over the island?
  • postiecat
    9年前

Hi Lindseylsullivan ,

I am curious about your cabinets. We have a guy designing our cabinets and he suggested the uneven look you have. I have never seen it before. I like it. Is there a name for it, so I could look up so more sites with it perhaps??? Thanks :)

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Postiecat unfortunately this is a preexisting home that we are moving in to so I don't know. Sorry I can't be much help.

Davidb209, we already have under cabinet lighting installed with dimmers. We really just need a way to illuminate the island and are hoping for something much more esthetically pleasing than what we have now.

• PRO
    EBK GROUP LLC. Architectural Design
    9年前
    Lighting is one of the most important DESIGN elements in a kitchen that is often overlooked. Lighting in a kitchen should consider task lighting as a primary consideration & ambient to enhance overall form & style of the space. Recessed 4" ceiling fixtures on dimmers, chandeliers or decorative fixtures over island, under-mount/range LED lighting for food prep & cooking, & lastly cabinet lighting should you have glass doors, preferably with 3/8" glass shelves for maximum exposure.
  • PRO
    George Weber
    9年前

I know you specifically asked about lighting, but I think if you painted the center panels of the kitchen cabinet doors it would do a lot to lighten the room. Also providing some contrast with the flooring.

• Kathy Paolo
    9年前
    2 small linen drums over counter
    rectangle in linen in over dining room table
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

Wouldn't hang linen by the sink...just sayin. stuff happens and water marks do to....

• lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

So I think I've decided to go with the Armonk Chandelier from Pottery Barn. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/armonk-six-arm-chandelier-bronze/?cm_src=E%3Aall-lighting&lineid=5&catalogId=68

The pictures show the furniture that will go with it and the adjacent space (living room) furniture/decor. Now, what pendant would work best?

I have liked the suggestions for a more industrial look to the pendant. Do you think this will go with the current decor? Also, would you go with a bronze finish on the pendants? I feel like the room is getting dark with all of the wood. We still have room for paint, art, rugs, etc. to brighten the space, though.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

i think i found it!!! best of both gets you glass, and defused light as well as focused down light. plus the lines go perfect with the chandelier. and because they are light, bronze would be fine.

http://www.hinkleylighting.com/product/Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Quincy-Lanterns-21

lindseylsullivanさんはflair lightingさんにお礼を言いました
  • lindseylsullivan
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

I love that pendant, flair lighting!! Thank you for all of your continued help through this process.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

your welcome! Its actually an outdoor pendant light...I just stumbled upon it! well I thought of hinkley, but not to look in the outdoor section...I should know better lol.

• PRO
    9年前

The photos you show above of what's going into the space and nearby indicate a nice traditional setting. If your door hardware is ORB, then sticking with bronze would be appropriate. But if your door hardware, sink and sink faucet are brushed nickel, then you could consider using brushed nickel or any silver colored finish for the pendants. You could even use black.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前

i think not matching the hardware is fine, with such tall ceiling and a big space i am more concerned with the bronze blending into the cabinet, than the color of the appliances. But I think because of the cream inner glass and the chain they will not over power the space with bronze anyway. ( speaking to the Hinkely fixture)

• PRO
    Barnlight Originals™
    9年前

Before you make your final decision, you might want to consider incorporating some barn lighting. Barn lights would fit in perfectly with the rustic design you spoke of earlier that would go with your Pottery Barn furniture. If the images below inspire you, take a look at our collections!

All of our lights are custom-made, allowing you the freedom to not only choose color, size, and style but also giving you the ability to create just about any design you dream of! Visit our website or give us a call if you have any questions (855-350-1888). Best of luck!

Shop the Authentic Warehouse Shade Stem Mount.

Shop the Bella Ceiling Light.

Shop the Comet.

Shop the Authentic Warehouse Shade Cord-Hung.

Shop the Astro Deep Bowl.

Shop the Continental Deep Bowl.

Shop the Derby.

• ll249
    9年前

Why not step a bit out of your traditional comfort zone and get some colorful pendants? Check out TechLighting for some fun ideas. There are lots of other sites out there, this is just one with a good selection.

• msconk
    9年前
    Enjoyed all comments re: kitchen lighting.
    I am in the same place - moved into a home with flourescent lighting and want to remove - than you
  • PRO