Houzz Logo Print
mandyflanders

Cost for remodel

Mandy F
9年前
What is a ball park for a laundry room remodel? I am very new to home renovating and we are looking to start in the next year or so... It's a small room and needs serious help

コメント (21)

• User
    9年前
    We finally redid our laundry room when the old top-loading machines gave up the ghost. For under $500, we added stock wall cabinetry in white with nickel handles, put a depper-than-stock laminate counter across the top for folding, and put a stock cabinet on a plinth to get the sink and faucet at the same height to replace the old plastic tub. Of course, then we had to purchase new machines...:-(
  • Mandy F
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Wow! $500! That's great. I was expecting a higher cost
  • Mandy F
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks!
  • raineycarole
    9年前
    If you do the work yourself you can save a lot of money, but you hire someone the labor cost could drive the price up much higher.
  • Marijane Hurley_Finlay
    9年前
    redid the laundry room because it is on the way to the powder room on the first floor! I got a great deal on a partial slab of Corian, bought a really deep sink and extended faucet on Overstock.com, and replaced one set of overhead cabinets with these funky hanging things that retract against the wall when not using them, but they extend out so you can hang stuff on them. LOVE them. The only thing I regret is going with middle of the road cabinetry, but if your laundry room is out of the way, that's not a big deal. I had someone come in and do it, and it did require putting in more hardwood floor, replacing some pipes, so that added on. But even with all the extra work it came to about 2 thousand. Again, you have to shop around in out of the way places to get some good deals on stuff like countertops.
  • decoratingjoy
    9年前
    Mandy, I just read an article on Houzz about a laundry room makeover for $400 and the room looked amazing. She did most of the work herself, and resourced places like Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. This is the title: See an Amazing $400 Laundry Room Remodel for a Family of 8. Put that in the search and it should come up. Also, since you have a dog kennel/crate in your laundry room I would also suggest looking at pictures that incorporate pets. There are some really great ideas out there. Good luck.
  • The Rozy Home
    9年前
    I just redid my laundry room for around $120, but I DIY'd all of it. The one suggestion I would give is in regards to counters over the washer and dryer. I've seen this trend popping up all over the web and even made one myself which was great - until the drain pump went out in our washer. We had to rip the counter out to access the washing machine and it was a nightmare. Afterwards I completely redid the laundry room and left off the counter in case we have another problem. If you do place a counter over your machines, make sure there is a way to easily access them in case of future problems. Good luck!
  • User
    9年前
    On the subject of a counter over the machines, we supported the counter with a wood piece around the back and sides and a middle support between the machines. The machines can easily be pulled out for maintenance, as there is about an inch of clearance all around them.
  • PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchen & Bath Design, LLC
    9年前
    It really depends on what you want to do. I would consider Pulling w/d away from the left corner and add "L" shaped cabinets and built in dog crate to window wall with a laundry sink. Leave floor alone and spend on the upgrade unless floor is in disrepair. This project could easily cost $5 if done right by a design /contractor... like me.
  • diyer59
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    The "ballpark" all depends on what you want, need and can afford. Do you want storage? Do you want high end washer and dryer? Do you want tile? That's at the upper end. How handy are you? Slapping on paint can revitalize a room for $25 (cost of a can of paint) doing it yourself. Hiring a painter--well now you're talking several hundred to a few thousand (depending on the size of the room).

Be smart. Do your homework before doing anything else. Look at magazines with examples, go to a few hardware stores and find the experts who know about remodeling this type of room (bring photos and magazine examples), write down what they say. When you have an idea of what you want, call reputable, licensed contractors for at least 3 bids. Always verify their standing with contractor licensing boards, BBB, references of other clients. Be realistic about your budget--yes you should have a budget and stick to it. Don't go crazy! Good luck.
  • Rosanne
    9年前
    The Rozy Home - thank you so much for telling us about the problem with a counter over the washer/dryer. I have been working on designs for my little final home and had been planning the exact thing! Time for redesign - so much easier when it's still on paper :o
  • Hazel Stratton
    9年前
    Working from nothing following a home fire, it was an expensive undertaking, but well worth it. Floor is a tile that looks like wood. Counter space is limited, but it is granite--easy to clean and a good area for folding clothes. The washer and dry were expensive, but again worth it and should last a long time. In addition to a broom closet, lots of cabinets (some are high for storage) and a deep sink completed the laundry room. Over the sink is a clothes hanging rode. A large window on the outside wall brings in natural light. I think this could be replicated at a much lower cost by DIY, but at the time it was not a feasible option. I love the tile floor which extends to the entry way from my husband's shop to the house. My original idea was a mud room, which it is missing the bathroom.
  • calidesign
    9年前
    Good lighting will help your room tremendously. I would have several contractors give you estimates, and they may have ideas as well. Unless you really know what you're doing, hiring a professional is money well spent.
  • PRO
    Black Cat Interiors
    9年前
    I did mine for about $2500 BUT the room was completely unfinished when we bought the house so the total includes framing, getting drywall put up and installation of slate tile. I did the rest myself - paint, wallpaper, floating cabinet, light fixture and bracket shelves. Would've LOVED custom cabinetry but didn't have the budget.
  • mlevinod
    9年前
    It cost be about 3K which included new washer & dryer, new cabinets, new sink & faucet, backsplash tiles, counter top, new recess lighting install. I also built the drying rack & added a hideaway ironing board. I did everything myself except the install of the recess lighting. Here's some before & after pics.
  • D DN
    9年前
    We are redoing one right now. It is $700 for labor plus $800 in materials. We are using a contractor to do most of the work and we are doing a little too. He will do the floor, electric, water, cabinetry, countertop and backsplash. The cabinets are used but still have tons of life left. I'm also reusing a great Kohler sink that is already there. I bought a pretty new faucet, tile for the floors, and the marble countertop (tile) and glass tile backsplash. I also bought an antique milk glass light fixture. The room is 10x7 approximately.
  • jalarse
    9年前
    We redid ours not quite 2 years ago. We removed the old stainless steel laundry sink and ordered a black I think it's acrylic from Home Depot. Since bathroom is off of the laundry room I thought the black bathroom sink worked out better. We never used the laundry sink anyway. New tiles for the counter and the floor, as well as the black subway tiles on the wall. Cabinet over the sink was an old medicine cabinet that was in need of a new home. Husband did all of the work we included a place for the litter box under the sink. Built the open shelving using old copper pipes for support plus it's a place for damp clothes to hang on hangers to air dry. Took down the builder basic light fixture and spray painted the part of it that is on the ceiling installed some clear hanging bulbs inside of canning jars and spray painted a $2.00 basket. Excluding new appliances probably spent somewhere in the ballpark of $400.00.
  • jalarse
    9年前
    Almost forgot one $38.00 gallon of paint from Benjamin Moore
  • Adam
    9年前
    Habitat for Humanity in your area likely has many things you will need. come up with your vision/design plan. Then visit your habitat weekly to find goodies for your renovation. BUT ALWAYS BRING YOUR DESIGN PLAN. I have rental properties with in suite laundry in all units. I've never paid over $600 for a laundry room renovation, and all my tenants rave about how amazing they are.