Houzz Logo Print
hlk226

My husband recently bought this house, it was not my 1st choice. I need help, it has NO street appeal

hlk226
11年前
最終更新:11年前
The original owners of this house built it with the idea of an old school house in mind. It has some good qualities like being all brick. I struggle with the curb appeal. Would window boxes and shutters be enough to help this?

コメント (85)

• karelina
    11年前
    I'd do one more thing besides painting the door, adding shutters, and finding more interesting sconces. I'd replace the stair rails with handmade railings. The pic is just one idea. Houzz had an article on rails with many other examples.
  • marcie31
    11年前
    I'm sorry, but I think your headline says it all - "It was not my first choice." I sense a power struggle here. Before you do any remodeling you need to make peace with this house and his decision (why "HE" bought it and not you as a couple is another issue), or you will never be happy with it. You might start with considering how very, very fortunate you are to be able to afford such a big, lovely home. Count your blessings, not your complaints.
  • tabula
    11年前
    Don't have any new ideas, but just wanted to say - I kinda love your house. Add a porch that wraps the front of the house, change the porch roof angle to reflect the house roof, and grow colorful hydrangeas in pots on both sides of the the climbing stairs, and I'll be envious!
  • riddleskitty
    11年前
    I wouldn't paint the brick, it usually ends up looking tacky and starts flaking pretty easily. What I would do, is STAIN the brick. It'll show the texture and color variance of the brick, but allow you to select a color that pleases you. A dark grey stain with light trim, or a light whitewash with taupe trim would be very nice. With whatever you end up doing here, go for contrast.

The meatball bushes have to go. Replace them with plants in a variety of texture and size, but keep the color palette monochromatic. Also agree you need to fill the gable on the front porch. It looks off and hollow. The house has great symmetrical bones, and with a little work, it can look amazing.
  • Lenam Kvarnstrm
    11年前
    Reshape the roof of the porch to the same envelop form as the main house's. Paint all white details grey and give the garden a well coming appearance with bushes and trees.
  • Vicki D
    11年前
    I think the primary problem is the porch - the gable specifically, it is a different pitch than the roof has. I think a different style would improve it greatly (something that compliments vs mimics). Another thought is to change out your door, it's a bit too standard. There are companies that just change the glass (can increase the size of the glass also) and they have styles ranging from contemporary to Asian to midwestern. If your door needs replacing, consider something totally different like a set of double doors or if you want to retain the side light(s) maybe one with a decorative styled transome light.
  • volleyball1mom
    11年前
    Amen Marci31! I consider myself old fashioned but I couldn't come up with ideas for the home improvement b/c I was stuck on the first sentence "My husband bought this house"
  • lizoregon
    11年前
    I guess I read too many advice columns, but I have to kindly suggest that if your husband bought a house you aren't happy with, you have more serious problems than "street appeal." I can't imagine a loving husband unilaterally making such an expensive decision and dismissing your concerns and wishes. Is this just an investment? Is your name not on the title? Sorry, but this just raises so many questions and red flags for me that I can't begin to think about street appeal. Good for you for making the best of it, but perhaps your focus needs to be on what the first sentence of your title conveys. All the best to you.
  • kara9
    11年前
    Lots of excellent suggestions. The best, in my opinion, are: appropriately sized shutters, paint front door, extend steps. Then the best of all, change gable to hip or something consistent w roof, beef up columns appropriately sized and trimmed. Later when you need a new roof, change the color to a darker architectural shingle. Having said all that, I like your house and the imperfections allow you to make it yours! Also, had it been perfect, you would most likely have paid more. Enjoy. Also, my uncle one time bought a house when the family was moving w/out his wife present and they were VERY happy. Sometimes logistics call for unusual results.
  • elcieg
    11年前
    hlk226, besides the issues with the exterior, I took another look and realized what a nice lot you have. In the future, think about a flat roof addition on the side with a colonial railing running around the perimeter and lots and lots of windows that will give you gorgeous light. Mine was off the dining room side and we used it a lot for the wine/cheese and crackers thing before dinner. It was so cozy.
    Glencoe Private Residence 2 · 詳細
  • bygeorgi
    11年前
    Nice house....Play up the georgian style . I agree with most people , you must add shutters to the second floor windows and color to the front door. Deep grey -green on the shutters and consider a kind of acid green on the front door, sounds strange but it would update the style and if you add plant material such as coleus with bright leaves it will make whats right now kinda blah into wow! Also close of the gable front porch top and add a single hanging light centered above. And where the walkway meets the side walk on each side a brick pillar and maybe even a small cascade of white picket fence and some white roses and more coleus would be lovely.Keep in mind scale of your projects, the house is quite large so don't go dainty, take down the porch railing also.
  • careclare
    11年前
    Most of these folks are crazy. Or wealthy. Your house is adorable, if a little boxy. Your impulses are right...trying to soften the box. Nice brick, nice setting. It would be great to fix the porch roof at some point. I think the walkway is inviting. The front door will only be improved if you get the color right. Add tall, skinny trees on each front corner, do shutters ( a warm brown,I think) and see how it goes.
  • frankjohn
    11年前
    Keep it simple and inexpensive. Paint the front door a stand out color. Add shutters to the second floor windows in paler shade of the front door. Add two taller bushes in colorful planters towards front of the porch. Try this before anything else and you may be surprised....
  • frankjohn
    11年前
    Keep it simple and inexpensive. Paint the front door a stand out color. Add shutters to the second floor windows in paler shade of the front door. Add two taller bushes in colorful planters towards front of the porch. Try this before anything else and you may be surprised....
  • anitajoyce
    11年前
    Your house has nice curb appeal. Shutters are needed for the front windows for better curb appeal. You could go with black or a brownish-rust color and a door in one of same colors as the shutters. Closing in the open framing above the door would help greatly also. It looks unfinished. Good luck and please post photos of your house.
  • PRO
    Karen Tiede Studio
    11年前
    +1 on this comment: Reshape the roof of the porch to the same envelop form as the main house's.

But on a different note, "curb appeal" is not today's problem, unless you're planning to flip it. Live with it for a while. See what you think come spring. (The porch isn't right; time won't help that. I'm guessing a previous owner fell in love with a picture and copied it without thinking, or it was her son's HS carpentry project?) But still... you have other things to keep you busy, and it's november.

I know plenty of families where one person had to pick a house in a hurry, often without being able to consult. Phones make showing pictures easier, but even that doesn't solve all of it. No reflection on the health of your marriage at all; more about the stresses of having to move when you don't have time to shop or make a lot of visits to the new town.

My father picked a bunch of the places we live in, the Marine Corps picked more, and my mother probably only had a choice in 3. They're still married, 54 years later. You'll do fine.
  • thiller
    11年前
    Can't tell whether the brick is dark enough, but I have always liked this kind of paint combo with brick, kind of elegant with the darker trim: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5254459/thumbs/Outdoor-facelift
  • blairblake
    11年前
    I think if you put in larger pillars you would be amazed at the feeling... Also add shutters
  • frenchdecor
    11年前
    Shatters look good only if they supposedly cover window even if they are decorative, therefore, first floor windows shouldn't have shutters, it will look obviously fake and odd. There were so many good suggestions. Good luck.
  • Sheila
    11年前
    shutters and a hot pink door,
  • mas4tune
    11年前
    I agree with the shutters- I recommend them in black as well as a bright colored door either red or even a deep periwinkle. If it is in budget you may want to consider painting the exterior brick the gray color of the house that someone posted a picture above (labelled green basements). Add some pretty impatiens to your garden and you will have a beautiful home! In my opinion the exterior of the house is not bad- you have all the basics and don't have any major structural changes. It just needs a cosmetic makeover which is easy and affordable.
  • parisgirl1970
    11年前
    First thought.Looking directly at it--it's lobsided b/c the left side looks so bare as the incline goes upppp. I'd fill the front left side in w/ a few trees. Thick and thin. Some evergreens b/c they don't lose their leaves in the winter -if you even have a winter. Next, yes paint that door-but make sure it's a color YOU love b/c you'll be staring at it at least once a day or for a while. Love the unilock path. Get some flowers and seasonal plants growing around the front so it won't look so sterile. If you go online you'll find when different bushes flower or change color during each season. Shutters a must--you'll love the look. If you're into drama, maybe a small fountain by the side of the railing. You never said what your budget was, but make notes of things you love on similar homes and find someone who's good & hungry so you can do more w/ the $ you have to spend.
  • parisgirl1970
    11年前
    First thought.Looking directly at it--it's lobsided b/c the left side looks so bare as the incline goes upppp. I'd fill the front left side in w/ a few trees. Thick and thin. Some evergreens b/c they don't lose their leaves in the winter -if you even have a winter. Next, yes paint that door-but make sure it's a color YOU love b/c you'll be staring at it at least once a day or for a while. Love the unilock path. Get some flowers and seasonal plants growing around the front so it won't look so sterile. If you go online you'll find when different bushes flower or change color during each season. Shutters a must--you'll love the look. If you're into drama, maybe a small fountain by the side of the railing. You never said what your budget was, but make notes of things you love on similar homes and find someone who's good & hungry so you can do more w/ the $ you have to spend.
  • parisgirl1970
    11年前
  • ravi kaneriya
    11年前
    NICE..........
  • jagood
    11年前
    When you can, take a good high resolution digital photo straight on from the front and crop out almost everything except the house, convert it to black and white, and print it out, and then make copies as light as you can print them and still see the details. Now use these copies to make sketches (on top of the photo) of some of the ideas you've been given. This technique really helps me to visualize things. You can use colored pencils to add color to your sketches.
  • Deb Reinhart
    11年前
    The home is a classic brick 2 story. The gable is disproportioned, and too minimal for the home.

If you like the convenience of having shelter on the front door area build up the proportions. The columns are way too thin.
    Fill in the gable, add moldings, beef up the pillars and widen the sidewalk.

Most importantly, hire an architect whose work includes classic homes you like. These design challenges are best resolved in collaboration with home owner (s) preferences.
  • kcrocombe
    11年前
    Shutters and paint the door a different color than the shutters. The landscape bed around the perimeter of the house could be much, much deeper and making it curved, deeper in some places than others would help give it more interest, too. Some larger foundation plants along with the smaller sized ones would give the landscape some interest. It's a pretty house already, and with a few changes, it will really stand out!
  • PRO
    Avedon Designs
    11年前
    "Fill" in the triangel pediment. The open look isnt good,. That should be all white. Then add shutters in a color that match the new color of the front door, black, dark blue, forest green, etc.
  • aschmitz
    11年前
    Start some street trees now. You have a really nice, wide planting strip. Put in some good shade trees and sit back. In ten years you'll be so glad you have them! Also, get rid of that funny looking porch roof. it doesn't match the house & looks like a do-it-yourself add on.
  • Ann Smitt
    11年前
    Re:aschmitz suggestion
    Before you plant anything on the planting strip by the road, check to see if the city plumbing lines run through this area. Also call the gas and electric companies re: buried power lines, they'll send someone out to mark the areas affected with flags.
    I hope you just enjoy your beautiful, new house and making personal a little project at a time.
  • rhozi
    11年前
    add a wrap around porch. it looks naked as is.
  • lessismoore
    11年前
    Hi There - I took the liberty of adding a revised porch roof with bolder posts. This is also lower than your existing one. Added shutters and window boxes, but I still want more - Would like to see bolder window trim to balance the porch and better hold shutters. I did a "treatment" on the bottom ones. Not sure what the little topper is called (pediment? plinth?) just and idea - but black or white? Love the idea of a side addition on this as suggested by JudyG.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11年前
    Hi hlk226 & everyone! Kinda feel like I'm butting in here but just saw a blurb in my feed and had to come see what lessismoore did w/this one. lessismoore - you are awesome!

hlk226 - you have a lovely home. As you can see, just needs a few changes.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • lessismoore
    11年前
    :-) Lyvonne Thanks!
  • lessismoore
    11年前
    :-) Lyvonne Thanks!
  • hlk226
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Lessismore, oh my you people are wonderful! So awesome the pic that you did. I should elanorate that my husband does agree that it lacks "something". Never thought I would get marriage advice too :). I received more ideas than I ever imagined. Lots of ideas that are affordable and quick. Will live with it for a little while before major changes. I so appreciate your help! Thank you
  • Ann Smitt
    11年前
    hlk226 Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration in your new home. Enjoy.
  • tati
    11年前
    Spontaneously, I would say that the path needs to be centered. The left tree and the shift of the path brings in an "off balance" feel.
  • lessismoore
    11年前
    I just figured out that the ornamental additions are called "lintels" and if my internet research is correct, very much an element of "Federalist" style architecture. As is that kind of (revised) porch door cover, as are the side lights on the door, etc.
  • lessismoore
    11年前
    I just figured out that the ornamental additions above the windows are called "lintels" and if my internet research is correct, very much an element of "Federalist" style architecture. As is that kind of (revised) porch door cover, as are the side lights on the door, etc.
  • cyn222
    11年前
    Tons of great idea..here some plants to show how it could spruce up the front a bit.
  • thickskin
    11年前
    @cyn222, Great job!!!!!!! Most, including myself, suggested additions to the house which can bust a budget. Looking at your plan I would also trim that big tree to the roof line, and if code allows it, add some small trees on that wide grassy area on the sidewalk.
  • charlotteleigh
    11年前
    Your house is great. I think after you live there a little while you'll know more what you like and don't like about it. I agree with filling in the dormer, maybe widening the steps and getting rid of the railing. With your skills in landscaping and decorating I'm sure your house will stand out in no time. Still, as it stands, it is a pretty house with loads of potential. Thanks for sharing it and good luck with your changes!
  • bgfuqua
    9年前
    old post
  • Mary M
    7年前

I'd love to see what did with this house, what suggestions you took.

• casacerro
    6年前

hlk226 are you still out there? I, too would love to see the house now.

• robert567
    2年前

Did they get a divorce?

• Momof5x
    2年前

I would probably just add flowers around the tree and in front of the house where bushes are located. You could also change the white paint to another colour.