Houzz Logo Print
mhbeachmom

Please help my "semi-formal" living room

Lori
9年前
Houzzers, it's been over 2 years since we moved into our house and I think I'm almost mentally prepared to take on my living room. Keep in mind...we just plopped our furniture in from the old place. Drapes - Came with house, but we're keeping them, and I switched out the trim to something closer to my colors/liking. Wallpaper - Taking it down! Hoping to replace with some nice moldings/wainscoating + new wallpaper combo. It currently runs all the way into the foyer and the upper part of the main staircase foyer. Sure, I've tried a few things above the fireplace...but after Christmas I took everything down so I can stare at a clean slate. I do have two pieces of art on the walls that reflect my colors, etc. The two chairs and sofa will stay. I'm open to other ideas and may also hire a professional but wanted to get some thoughts from you clever houzzers. My home is traditional but we have small kids so I like it comfy. Help! TIA

コメント (16)

• Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I should also acknowledge a few other things: We have gorgeous views of rolling hills and trees, it's serene so it's possible my furniture could use adjustment. I also have a stand-up piano in the room in the corner (kids are learning to play). The rug was only temporary from our prior move and wouldn't stay either (it's a simple berber rug and it's boring and gross). It's a really lovely room, I know, but it really needs some punching up and I'm just feeling overwhelmed.
  • rababar
    9年前
    You're SO close. Move the couch back so the coffee table is centered in front of the French doors. Bring in some outdoor green by putting a nice, bushy plant next to the window/chair. Get a throw with some bolder color for the back of the couch or one of the chairs. Then head out to local art fairs and get something spectacular for over the fireplace. GO BIG! Love your room!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    The house looks 1980s. I would remove all dark ugly wallpaper for sure. Moulding is nice, go very wide. Wainscoting no. Unless you are going for a country or beachy look. Paint. A soft gray would work. Carry it throughout. Window covers are dating your room. Remove. No one does a valance any more. Go panels on ends. in a linen fabric 2 shades darker than walls. Hiring a pro would help. But, she would most likely give you same advice. Get pic of rooms you like as a starting point.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    You need a very tall 5 ft picture for over fireplace. Buy something striking. With your colors. Bs will be our focal pt. Get a bigger 36" or bigger. round or square coffee table . I would change hardware on French doors to updated brush nickel. Table behind sofa to small. Remove and hang a throw in blues let it hang over back. Add very tall wood candle sticks to one end. Also 2 tall blue pots to other.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    Can chairs go on either side of bigger coffee table? Remove table and dark lamp there now. Add a big potted Palm in nice pot to that corner by windows.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    Remove sofa table and push back sofa to make room for chairs on either side of new bigger coffee table.
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks Nancy. I actually consulted with two separate pros who both told me that valances are coming back because everyone is over the "Hang you panels high with matchstick blinds" look that has been going on now for so long. I actually said I was going to get rid of the drapes and valance and they both said emphatically No! What do you mean by wider mouldings? I guess when I was talking about mouldings I am not talking crown and the like, I'm talking about decorative panel moulding.
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I'm inspired by this:
    Connecticut Estate · 詳細
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Nancy, I like your suggestion of the blue pots and candlesticks. Are you talking about adding to the sofa table? And yes, once I move the sofa back a bit I believe I could reposition the chairs to face the french doors or on opposite sides of the coffee table. My only issue is having light to read but I'm sure I could figure that out. I hate harsh overhead lighting and the cans are great but I do like warm ambience.
  • PRO
    Woven Concepts
    9年前
    Rug needs to contrasts quite a bit more with the color of the sofa. It's looking a little too monochromatic.
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Houzzers, since my walls will be more neutral, should I stay with the muted tones like this?
    Momeni Rug Shalimar 5'6" x 8'6" SL-02 Beige SHALISL-02BGE5686 · 詳細
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Or go with something more dramatic? Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm thinking of adding a darker blue/indigo as an accent into my color palette so that my house doesn't end up looking like a baby nursery!
  • PRO
    Brandon Oriental Rugs
    9年前
    Lori,

A dressier rug would help to anchor the room visually and integrate the elements of your decor. Attached are some "transitional" looks that add color and interest to bring focus to the room without getting too overwhelming. An overall pattern (instead of a medallion) would be more successful at keeping the open look of the room which is so appealing. If you elect to use a more traditional area rug, definitely go with a real hand-knotted rug (not machine made or tufted -- so-called "handmade" -- imitations) if possible to keep a natural, authentic look and feel in your room that you'll be able to enjoy, be proud of, and decorate around for all the years ahead. You'll do well if you have a specialty rug store near you that will work with you to help you discover what works and what you really want.
  • PRO
    Darcey Lewelling
    9年前
    I like the vintage wallpaper above the fireplace. I would agree to move the sofa back some so the coffee table is centered with the doors. Update he hardware. Add the plant. A tall piece of artwork/ candles to be mantle. And cream or linen curtains to the windows. The valance is taking away from the view. Hang the curtains high and wide. Love your start. It's simple and pretty and I would love to sit in that space with loved ones looking at the view outside !! :)
  • Lori
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Brandon, thank you. I was also thinking overall pattern (perhaps an oushak) but wasn't sure if that would be too muted. I am for sure going to invest in a hand knotted rug for this room. Although once I settled on that plan it became that much harder because there are so many possibilities! Thanks