Houzz Logo Print
melh22

Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(

melh22
9年前
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this, but it's hard not to. I made SO many trips to the granite yard (dragging my 2 young kids along) to find the *Perfect* granite and when I thought I found it, after it's installed I see that it is not at all the look I was going for. I feel like the granite is way too light and has greenish undertones, while my cabinets and floor have red/orange undertones. What a gross combination :( Since financially I do not have the option for new counters, I'm trying to figure out a backsplash and paint color that will help me minimize the green in the counters and bring out the warmer undertones. Please help. Once again, I'm trying not to take this too seriously...I know there are so many people out there that have much bigger and more serious problems than kitchen design. However, I have spent MONTHS ever so carefully repainting the cabinets, adding trim, adding crown molding, and picking out granite only to be sorely disappointed by the results. I've been sick to my stomach the last 3 days since the granite was installed. I appreciate your help.

コメント (563)

• muximaus
    9年前
    When you prop these tile selections up against the backsplash its easy to say one looks against the granite BUT we can't see it with the floor. If you choose the subway tile that matches your cabinet color your taking away another competing pattern. That will take the backsplash out of the equation. It will look fine (for 5 years). No more agonizing. Then get one of those long gel runners in a solid color.
  • carolynlesliebeck
    9年前
    Many times we forget the lighting affects all things color Lets get it back together and look at different bulb options Also if you are able to accent the kitchen with a color...it will make those white cabinets show off and create a bridge between floor walls and countertops
  • penderislander
    9年前
    I like your kitchen! And I like your granite and flooring! I'm not a professional, but I think that the granite might 'pop' a little more if your cupboards were painted a slightly darker color, eg, mushroom or a shade of khaki. This probably isn't what you want to start doing now though. I think it's still a very pretty kitchen.
  • ooohlaa
    9年前
    Hi, I SOO sympathize with you about making a major boo boo of a choice. I chose a metal roof with one thing in mind, a plantation look here in FL, when it got installed it looks more like a corrugated roof and I was literally in mourning for weeks because I planned a look and got something entirely different, it was heartbreaking as I saved for years for a new roof. In regard to your problem my inclination when disguising things is to find a color that appears in both the floors and the granite and add that to tie it together. My sense would be something creamy because that would tame the greenish quality, if it didn't have any green tint in any way when checking the pigment custom colorings. There is no real comfort in a situation like this except to know I worked for professional designers for a few years and I have seen a whole room of grasscloth torn off the walls for such a thing, the designers ate the loss rather than have it be a showroom they could not be proud of. In this case, you have to keep musing to find a workaround. My condolences, I get it!
  • bclements48
    9年前
    I know you have had more comments than I could read but your granite looks very much like the one we picked for our master bathroom in our newly built house. We have cabinets that are painted SW Heron Plume and walls painted BM Everlasting. The look is good in my opinion (did have a decorator's help with these choices). Our floor, being a bathroom, is natural stone that is similar in color to your tile color judging from the pictures. We also chose brushed nickel for our fixtures. Though I still have a ways to go with finishing touches, I am happy with the look. The paint on walls helped to tie floor and granite together. I attached a couple of photos but the iPad pics aren't the best. Do you remember the name of your granite? I believe ours was ornamental. Good luck with your decisions. I would love to see the final results! Your kitchen will be great. I have a few regrets too in my kitchen but have tried to pit it behind me and focus on the positives. You have a lots of positives going for you! All the best to you and your family!
    melh22さんはbclements48さんにお礼を言いました
  • Kaitlin
    9年前
    You might try changing the color of your lightbulbs. If the bulbs in your kitchen are more yellow than the granite store, it could bring out different undertones. Daylight bulbs might not fix everything, but it could help.
  • Sheryl Horton
    9年前
    Go to the Houzz FIND A Pro button.
  • henry111
    9年前
    I have to admit I only read the first 30 or so comments but just want to say that with the cabinet doors on the floor is less of a distraction. Adding an Island no matter what color will cover up part of the floor and that will also help. Can't wait to see the finished project.
  • PRO
    Miriam Jacobson
    9年前
    I can't believe the comments that suggest painting cabinets, putting down wood floors, etc. Didn't they understand that you've just painted the cabinets, and don't want to do the floors at this time? I think your cabinets look great, the counters are beautiful, I like the floor tiles too. You're in the end stage when you start doubting because the last steps haven't been completed yet so it looks unfinished. If you don't love the subway tiles, don't invest more energy and money. Stop, remove those you've put up, and go with a semi or full glossy paint backsplash. The color of the wall next to the tiles you've installed is good, and it would tie together your counters and top cabinets in a warm way. You're doing a really beautiful job and I think that once you're done and can step back, you will love and enjoy your new kitchen. Try to have faith in your choices, and don't make lots of changes at this point, they'll result in a hodge-podge. Happy 2015!
    melh22さんはMiriam Jacobsonさんにお礼を言いました
  • Karen D
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    I feel terrible for you because you have been working so hard to make this kitchen project come out perfectly! I was in your position not too long ago and still occasionally doubt by decisions. I think you have done an amazing job so far and should go with your gut instinct, make a decision, and surprise us all! If you are still uncertain, I would hire a professional (by the hour-if in your budget) to come to your house and help you tie everything together. (I really wish I had done that) As Miriam Jacobson said, Please people, NO more recommendations to change the flooring or repaint the cabinets! I know it's going to be beautiful in the end. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!
  • royalpayne
    9年前
    Mhaber22: you simply cannot make decisions with a large kitchen component missing. So, cut card stock to fit the missing cab doors and tape them in place. Then step back. The difference will amaze you. Then choose your colors, backsplash, knobs and pulls, lighting, etc. I love the granite, by the way.
  • melh22さんはzazfuzzrocさんにお礼を言いました
  • sgoody17
    9年前
    go plain with the backsplash especially since you think you have too many colors going on already. it will ground everything. I like the penny round tiles for backsplashes. I like the granite too
  • Karen D
    9年前
    Thanks zaz! Didn't realize there was a Part 2 going and a decision had not been made yet. Lol
  • zazfuzzroc
    9年前
    You're welcome Karen. Just trying to spread the word and help the poster get responses. :)
  • melh22さんはzazfuzzrocさんにお礼を言いました
  • melh22
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    No worries Karen Dumont! The other thread is a bit more constructive without all the suggestions to repaint cabinets or tear up flooring. However, I work like a turtle. Slow and deliberate. I tend to take long a long time making decisions that are permanent, Check back to the other thread in a few days for any updates :)
  • melh22
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Hi royalpayne (nice name!)- I put the doors back up. The pics can be seen here if you are interested. Thanks for the comments! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/hate-my-new-granite-this-whole-process-has-been-a-nightmare-take2-dsvw-vd~1350870
  • melh22
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Miriam Jacobson- Thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • Karen D
    9年前
    Can't wait mhaber22 to see what you decide to do....I'm awaiting patiently. Will not give anymore suggestions, as I know you have had enough....Will check your new thread :-) Good luck!
  • conniek1242
    9年前
    It looks like you have a piece of beautiful, dark furniture to to right of your photo. Could it be moved into the center as an island. Then add a couple of scatter rugs around.
  • renegadern
    9年前
    @Whynotryit, love the backsplash, just not with that granite. Looks too busy to me. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those...;-)
  • yoyoma
    9年前
    If you do not like gray then donor add something that will make you dislike it more. I think like so any others once you get more whit I there withe the doors on it will take away a lot of what your not liking now. Be great full on how beautiful and lovely it is. Our fantasys some times trip us up. If you like to decorate it is. Going to happen occasionally. Hang in there. Put God I the center and it will be perfect
  • johnmckisson
    9年前
    I had a similar problem. I changed the floor to a dark color (I know, it shows dirt but then I know when I need to clean it). I decided that the back splash was working against the floor and the granite so I left it out. I am not a 'hater of subway tile but to me, the shapes were competing. I also added overhead recessed lighting, under counter lights and triple pendant lights that complemented the granite. I did go with a grey and at first I was not sure it was going to work but it did in my Colonial kitchen. I also went with stainless appliances but it looked like too much so I broke it up with a black front to my dishwasher.
  • johnmckisson
    9年前
    Try also to add SM62P 1 3/4" wood panel mould under your cabinets for a more finished look.
  • melh22
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Hi johnmckisson- thanks for the advice; your kitchen is beautiful. I cannot change the floor at this time, so I'm going to make do with what I have. I actually have already cut and painted the foot-mold for the cabinets, but have yet to install it. I was going to paint the walls first. If at all interested in seeing this come to fruition, feel free to travel over to TAKE 2 of my dilemma: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/hate-my-new-granite-this-whole-process-has-been-a-nightmare-take2-dsvw-vd~1350870
  • melh22
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    yoyoma- so so true. thanks for your kind words.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9年前
    For hardware I would definitely go with brushed nickel! Your kitchen looks great so far!
  • Susan Canavespe
    9年前
    Add some color to walls and backsplash. Not enough contrast. Tie the wall color and the granite together.
  • rachuba
    9年前
    I read your second thread, and had to find this one. I second the idea of using laminate or cork over the flooring. I love the rest of it tho! I agree that the floors are throwing off the look. Hope the holidays gave you a break and you can see this with a fresh perspective.
  • sadiefly13
    9年前
    My suggestion is put the cabinet doors back on before you make anymore decisions. There is so much competing for your attention in the cupboards it's very hard to concentrate on the counter top and main accents. Maybe after a few days with the cupboards on things will look different to you. You would not want to judge a Picasso half way through the painting being done, sometimes it takes a small finishing touch to bring it all together. I like the countertop color, it may not be a great match with the flooring, but things like floor mats and counter decor might be just what was missing! Good luck, don't be so hard on yourself, you've been agonizing over it so much, maybe you should take a break from thinking about it.
  • buystone
    8年前

I

• buystone
    8年前

I would like to vote for cream and simple backsplashes, something like subway, your granite called Venetian Gold, so it does has some beige tone on it, I think will looks really nice

• livesmall
    8年前

What was the outcome. Has it been finished? Would love to see pictures.

• joycedurkin
    8年前

In case you haven't decided what to do with the hating granite look. This may be a good suggestion. I go into many houses with granite counter tops. Granite is a sleek - clean look. If money isn't an option, I would close all the cabinets with doors, with any silver type handle. The tile floor may work, but if not you may want to consider a wood look flooring. This will change the entire look, believe me. Your appliances are stainless, that also is the sleek - clean look. Try white poster board to cover all the cabinets to give you a visual idea.

• yytcm
    8年前

Your granite is not "hateful" at all - it's just disappointing to you. Whatever you do, please don't make it worse by choosing a busy backsplash that very likely won't be the look your were going for either. White subway tile is classic but it doesn't have to be stark white and it doesn't have to be subway tile. I don't see that much green in the granite and I don't really see orange in your cabinets, but your floors are definitely pink and don't play well with anything in your kitchen or with the wood floors in the adjoining rooms. But that can't be helped at the moment. So fix a cup of ginger tea for the upset stomach, get the cabinets doors back up and reevaluate the kitchen, likely take the advice given above to make no more decisions for a couple of months and while you're waiting, check out MariaKillam.com. Maria is an internationally known color expert and she's fantastic at picking out the undertones you're dealing with. She offers an AskMaria segment in which she features a reader's question with pics, very often about the kitchen, in which she answers the question and gives advice. It wouldn't hurt to try. And please believe that you're kitchen is going to be beautiful in the end.

• joyallen1
    8年前

definitely white subway tile to downplay the busyness of the granite and floor. Hire a designer to help pull it together. It is amazing how a good designer can make things work!

• alwaysdesigning
    8年前

I would agree using a designer so no more mistakes are made. For now, I would just keep that backsplash neutral and pattern free. The granite busy-ness will create issues in choosing a backsplash that will work for you. The only other option is bring that same granite up to the cabinets and make it part of your kitchen design. I think it could look really good. I think the floor may need replacing, or staining it darker. Kitchen doors with new hardware can help you like it more. Right now it seems busy with all the doors off. I do like your granite.

• paradesigns
    8年前

The granite is not what you thought it would be, but it is still pretty. Concentrate on what you think are the best aspects of your new counters. Try to optimize its strong points. Your original wish was to go warm. Look at warm colors that compliment the floors AND counter tops. They should not be too bright nor too busy. Finish everything in your kitchen and THEN make your final decision on your black splash. Um, I would stay away from grey stripes.

• Eva
    8年前

To me, the granite looks very good. I think even if this is not what you have dreamed about, still is worth to be a focus point in your kitchen. Therefore, I would do simple and plain backsplash using large subway tiles (e.g. 10 x4) , unicolour of your choice. If you pick one of the shades of the granite to match the tiles - would look great. If your kitchen is bright and cabinets have light colours - I would go with dark backsplash. I would stay away from any mosaics tiles, even as a accent, for two reasons. I think they are slowly going out of style, they creating focus point and adding turbulence and mishmash to the area. Good luck and enjoy.

• PRO
    Ovchinnikov Eugeny N.
    8年前

Hi. You have a very nice kitchen and a beautiful granite and good for you for taking on the project of painting those cabinets. I hope you're willing to read even more comments - take it or leave it.

Buy a free standing island in a dark stained wood rather than black since it seems your granite has dark browns not black and because the dark wood would be a nice contrast with the white painted cabinets.

• Dee Smith
    8年前

Your granite counters are fine. You could try some back splash that has a little red in it to tone down the green (but I don't see any green), but if it is there... I think it will help. I agree with others about the flooring though. Something with grays in it would have blended better I think... what you have is more tuscan rather than modern or traditional. Since you chose white cabinets, I don't think I would have gone with the tiles you chose, unless you had done a creamy white. But like I said, if you get some reds, rusty browns, and golden yellows in your back splash you may be able to get it to work. Good luck.

• Gitte Hinton
    8年前

i'd be curious to see how it turned out!

• sueb2b
    8年前

Unbelievable. I just got my granite installed today, and feel exactly the same way so came here for support. It's the SAME granite!!!! It looked completely different at the warehouse ;'( I hope yours turned out well!!

• janny
    8年前
    We have the same granite and used SW Moderate White. It is a chiffony (my word) creamy white. Love it. Our backsplash is subway, but muted and 4x6 tiles with a 4 inch insert with some shine, texture and stone combined. The granite becomes the focus.
  • PRO
    FineCraft Contractors, Inc.
    7年前

You have a lovely kitchen but we understand how it is when it's "your kitchen". It's gotta meet your desires and demands. But you surely have a wonderful-looking kitchen. Well done.

• Peke
    5年前

I agree with others that said the white (of the cabinets) is what is pulling out the green. If I remember that slab correctly, doesn't it have a light cream color instead of white? Cream will tone down the green counter and the red on the floor. A sisal (sp?) or woven mat/rug in a cream/beige/tan color will hide most of the floor. No way would I ever put laminate flooring in a kitchen. I am too much of a klutz! Water and laminate flooring is just asking for trouble. I also agree with the others who said a neutral cream/beige/light tan simple backsplash would help. The tiny mosaic looking mini subway tiles are not a good choice, I think. The granite is beautiful!

Bring in color with wall paint. Personally, I would love to see the blue from your dishes! It has to be the right blue though...hard to tell with computer monitors and lighting. Try putting in different colored light bulbs...meaning warm white, soft white, daylight, etc. That can make a huge difference to the color of your floor, tile, granite, etc. Morning, day, and evening light will change the look of the colors too. Choose the bulb you like and stick with them. It took me forever to figure out the paint in my living room. We had warm white bulbs in the flood lights and table lamps, and all the paint colors were not what we wanted...too yellow......we bought 40 samples at $4.00 each!

• owens1
    3年前

i really like your granite .. i think the subway tile will look great ! grey can go green. your selections are good don’t stress tweeking paint may make all the difference .

• owens1
    3年前

benjamin moore’s and sherwin williams both have the peel and stick paint samples which i have found to be a huge visual help