Houzz Logo Print
rlb0739

Help my ugly little house

rlb0739
9年前
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for drought tolerant plants/flowers - but there's something off about the steps, as well. I'd like to add a railing, but the steps might need something (I have no clue what) before I do that. I am just totally uninspired by the entire front.. and a bit embarrassed to let anyone know I live there!

コメント (181)

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    nwduck - LOVE the idea about the board with the address... I'm a DYI NUT so I could really see doing something like that with some personality and it would balance the door without adding that side panel that others have suggested, but I really don't want (sorry, all). The stones you refer to actually will likely be used as a short walking path from the porch to the front fence - but I'm open on that. I plan to work with a landscape designer because I've got multiple issues - privacy is a concern because the house sits on a corner of a street that gets a little busy during rush hour, the side lot needs some work, etc.
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Tara - grasses and other drought tolerant plants are definitely in my plans. Thanks!
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    rlb0739
    dsgts - I will definitely have to balance privacy and curb appeal - but I think it's doable. I just need to be smart about it. I think there are ways my landscaping can help provide both. At least that what I'm hoping.. :-)
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    rlb0739
    Nick's Landscaping Solution - Artificial turf is illegal in my city, believe it or not
  • fsiep
    9年前
    What city? I did my front yard with river rock and left in a few mature shrubs..They are mature and need little water or maintenance. It's wonderful.
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    fliep - those things are allowed, but artificial turf - as in fake grass (no offense to anyone who has it) - is illegal where I live
  • Darlene Joly
    9年前
    get a carpet to accent an entrance. Then build them up with potted plants on the steps.
  • elaynemt
    9年前
    Go darker with the stairs and paint the front door red. Put up a white railing and paint the area around the windows white to match.
  • Gini Roberts
    9年前
    Knee wall is correct. I'm not saying this is the definition, but when I was little, I was told it was so ladies could hike up their skirts a bit while snapping beans or shelling peas on the front porch. The knee wall kept them modest.
  • 1citykitty
    9年前
    i don't know why i am so compelled to be thinking of your darling house all the time, but my first impression and comment along time ago was to add a faux medalion or cutout on the dormer and on the right side of the door a side panel with LARGE vertical address #s on it both painted same color as door. i live on a busy street and privacy and security being an issue a mail slot on the door rather than a box is practical. bamboo shades on the inside of the porch would provide alot of privacy while alowing air to circulate if you live in sunny san jose.or to sit on a rainy day in portland. river rock, cobbles ,grasses are beautiful in any weather. i see very large new zealand flax (purple, pink, maroon and greens?) at the side of stairs and succulants are low maintainance. have fun. take your time. it will reveal itself to you.
    rlb0739さんは1citykittyさんにお礼を言いました
  • chezron
    9年前
    It would make a ton of difference to replace part of that extended siding with open railings and paint the stairs a lighter color.
    rlb0739さんはchezronさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    9年前
    I agree with the folks who want to preserve the original look of the house. I agree that painting the steps will do more in that simple act than the most complicated options.

I, However, would focus on the landscaping to help balance the front. Perhaps stronger focal points using specimen plants will help draw the eye away from the center and balance out the heaviness of the steps.

Think about using nontraditional plantings, non-symmetrical. Don't mirror the landscaping from side to side. let them be two distinctly different areas. As a landscaper I used to use boulders of pretty good size (500-1500 lbs. - professionally installed, of course). Feature stones can be a work of art. And of course you could always go with pieces of art as focal points too. something of that era, perhaps Art Deco if it's a 1920s Bungalow.
    rlb0739さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    hibiscus for color?
    Addition · 詳細

once read porch ceiling painted blue is great - is that tile on risers?
    HGTV Smart Home 2013 · 詳細

CA tile everywhere!
    http://tilebar.com/lotus-alfresco-glass-and-stone-tile.html?gdftrk=gdfV25837_a_7c2296_a_7c8489_a_7cBJUGRVLSTL&hz_source=ppc

Hutsell - Addition Lakewood · 詳細
  • everdebz
    9年前
    which present plants are 'worth keeping'?
    I like blue grasses, and red with red door?
    debora carl landscape design · 詳細

Jack Kiesel · 詳細

Pathway · 詳細

residence · 詳細
    rlb0739さんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • mkprizwan
    9年前
    I love your little bungalow!! The siding is not too high - that's silly and the dormer is not blank. The color of the stairs stick out like a sore thumb - change the color and search 1900 - 1930 bungalow, Chicago Bungalows, 20's California bungalows for other ideas. Stick to the bungalow theme and you'll do fine. Nice big Elephant Ears (bulbs) look great in front of a bungalow wall and as a back drop for other plants.
    rlb0739さんはmkprizwanさんにお礼を言いました
  • makaloco
    9年前
    The deep periwinkle on the steps is actually a nice color, just not with the gray. I'd love it on a house with white trim, like this one from mariakillam.com
  • everdebz
    9年前
    tile risers can be ok - for example, try tile look near ceiling?
    simple geometric shapes....
    Vintage Bay View · 詳細
    rlb0739さんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • Dana Veach
    9年前
    I confess to not having read every post on this thread, so I won't presume to offer suggestions other than to urge you to try all the simplest and most economic suggestions first. I think your little home is charming and has enormous potential. Please, please keep us posted on the progress you make with it.
    rlb0739さんはDana Veachさんにお礼を言いました
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Dana, thank you so much! It is a work in progress... Slow, but steady :)
  • Dawn Turner
    9年前
    You need porch rails for safety and can make them white. To match trim:)
    rlb0739さんはDawn Turnerさんにお礼を言いました
  • makaloco
    9年前
    rlb0739, I just ran across a house in another design dilemma that has a similar porch, steps, and soffit. It's a long thread but look for a comment by Donna Hardey posted Wed. evening. (Photo below is irrelevant but posted with the link.)
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/9-daring-colors-for-your-front-door-stsetivw-vs~30484710
    rlb0739さんはmakalocoさんにお礼を言いました
  • 1citykitty
    9年前
    first thing on a budget paint the stairs same color as house, white railings, panel in white trim with backing color to balance door frame.and color same as dormer medallion, panel to right of door and panel down middle of stairs. its only paint, those few items could easily be changed in color at your whim or season. paint is cheaper than contracting.
  • Karen Ginas
    9年前
    Adorable home. Painting stairs and new handrails is really all you need ...and roses. Climbing a small arbor. A bench and annuals. Very pretty house.
    rlb0739さんはKaren Ginasさんにお礼を言いました
  • windingcreek_creations
    9年前
    Love the ideas of the painted runner leading to the door. I would put potted plants on every other step to the right and another under the porch light. I also love the idea of a sidelight and having the risers painted a different color from the steps with the raised plant beds on either side of the steps. Short of major reconstruction, it would be difficult to add a railing to replace the vertically extended wall. Simply changing the look of the stairs focuses on the entrance. You have a lovely home! Embrace it's charm.
    rlb0739さんはwindingcreek_creationsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Kenneth Gittins
    9年前
    I like to photograph my house then import the photo into SketchUp Make by Google.
    You can then try different materials and colours from the palette. You can explore many ideas without spending anything on materials untill you find the design you like.
    SketchUp may be difficult to use at first but patience will bring rewards, it comes with tutorials. You can download a view of your house from Google Earth perhaps, street view and birdseye view, giving you two options, front elevation and plan. Let me know if you get stuck.
    rlb0739さんはKenneth Gittinsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Kenneth Gittins
    9年前
    I should have added a comment about the attached photo. It shows an enclosed porch
    on our bungalow. A picture saves a thousand bucks maybe.
    rlb0739さんはKenneth Gittinsさんにお礼を言いました
  • sclairet
    9年前
    Here's more inspiration for the stairs on your charming house.

This photo is of one of my favorite houses in Glendale, California, and it has similar features to yours. The newel posts are quite substantial cast concrete posts. The stair rails are the same as the porch railings. (Sorry I didn't capture that in the photo. I'm not suggesting you change out your porch railings.)

Can you tell all of us what you are planning following all of the great ideas people have submitted?
  • 1citykitty
    9年前
    sclairet,

i like the vent on the dormer. i would leave the vertical wall as is for privacy and cost,but maybe add a wider white top rail to match stair railing.
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Scariet, thanks for the suggestions! I haven't made up my mind totally. There are a couple of options at the top of my list, though :). I appreciated all of the suggestions. Some of them work for me, others don't. But I am overwhelmed by how thoughtful and supportive everyone has been. I will post pictures once I make some progress. Thanks again!
  • sclairet
    9年前
    You have a very charming house. It's gonna be great when you are done. It's been fun for me, and probably everyone else, to read different peoples' ideas.
    rlb0739さんはsclairetさんにお礼を言いました
  • luleeshaw
    9年前
    So... I've been keeping up with the comments, lots of good ideas and some that are 'interesting'. Have you made a decision? Moving in any direction? Please keep us posted!
    rlb0739さんはluleeshawさんにお礼を言いました
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Hey luleeshaw! I am still weighing a few options, but there a few things I definitely want to do, including replacing the knee wall with railings and adding railings to the steps. I'm also planning replace the yard with drought tolerant plants. There was a designer I wanted to work with for the landscaping, but I haven't heard back from her for a while. But I will absolutely keep you posted.
  • Nicholas Ogilvie
    9年前
    Do something like this in the front. down the sidewalk
    rlb0739さんはNicholas Ogilvieさんにお礼を言いました
  • kellyslobodian
    9年前
    love the look potential just use color to Pop...steps columns door.. paint faux window on blank dormer,consider lowered front panels with railing or paint for def but love idea of pots of flowers and painted steps in article above
  • kellyslobodian
    9年前
    love the look potential just use color to Pop...steps columns door.. paint faux window on blank dormer,consider lowered front panels with railing or paint for def but love idea of pots of flowers and painted steps in article above
    rlb0739さんはkellyslobodianさんにお礼を言いました
  • kellyslobodian
    9年前
    Great idea and picture from Liz Nolan,direct the eye with a color and put pots of flowers on outer stair.I rather like the slightly wider taller look of stairs,quite craftsman,
    rlb0739さんはkellyslobodianさんにお礼を言いました
  • erasistible
    9年前

This house is not ugly. It's very charming.

rlb0739さんはerasistibleさんにお礼を言いました
  • rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

How time flies! Nearly a year has passed since my initial post on my poor little house. I've made some progress. I added a railing, gate

and a screen door several months ago. But the biggest changes are happening now. Workers have removed the tree (it was diseased and growing into the power lines, so the city cut it down) and a ton of dirt. The photo shows the workings of the drip irrigation system that was installed. There's now several cubic yards of mulch on the front and side yards waiting to be installed today and I've got a list of trees and plants to choose from for planting over the next few weeks.

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

• zazfuzzroc
    8年前

Nice...can't wait to see more. :)

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Me, either! Without that tree, it looks like a really exposed ugly little house to me! Thanks!

• zazfuzzroc
    8年前

Well, I think it's cute... and plants..etc. will make all the difference. It will soften the edges... so to speak. :)

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you! It is an improvement from the photo I posted a year ago. Landscaping certainly will make a big difference. And I've got some fun ideas for ''art" for the fence that should be fun, too.

• zazfuzzroc
    8年前

You're welcome. :) Sounds great, thanks for coming back to share your progress. It's fun to see. :)

• rlb0739
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I'll update once more after the new trees, etc are installed. Thanks again!

• sclairet
    8年前

It's got a lot of charm. Thanks for the update.

• AprilShowers
    6年前

Any chance of seeing how it has progressed?

• Tina Moore
    6年前
    Can you update with pics please. Thx
  • Angel Blue
    昨年

It's been 8 years, please update us!