Houzz Logo Print
amber_ivey

HELP! Need advice on decorating our blah living room!

Amber Ivey
9年前
My husband and I just built this home and need help decorating. I'm naturally drawn to neutrals (if you can't tell by the photos!) and have been struggling on what color scheme to go with. My thoughts are adding color and pattern in with a shag rug, curtains and throw pillows. Possibly another small accent chair to corner off the living space...? I don't know where to start! Please, any and all suggestions welcomed!

コメント (53)

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9年前
    Add a nice decorative rug and printed throw pillows to add accents to your room. You may also purchase a floor lamp and place it in the corner between the door and the TV.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    OTM Designs... any particular color(s) you think will best compliment the space?
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Cmeister419, I had thought about adding a live plant in the corner between the tv wall and french doors. Our office is dark gray with a lot of green accents and it looks great but I was hoping for a different color in the living area.
  • cmeister419
    9年前
    Hmm I see. A burnt orange might work as well. Browns would be great but won't give you that pop of color.
  • leelee
    9年前
    That sectional isn't a good fit for your space. The door shouldn't be blocked. Can you exchange the sofa for something that would be a better scale for your home?
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Burnt orange is the color I have been debating! Would you do solid curtains or use pattern? Perhaps a lattice design?
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    @leelee, we cannot return the sectional. However, each seat as an individual piece so the sectional could probably be reversed. So if you're looking at the tv wall, the sectional would wrap around the hallway/foyer side of the room. We considered this option but decided on the shown layout as we thought it was more functional.
  • Victoria
    9年前
    Can you remove one seat from the sectional so it doesn't block the doorway?
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Yes, it could be removed as every seat is an individual piece. There is a walkway behind the sectional so it doesn't actually block the doors. Not sure if that's visible in any of the photos. The other side of the room is a hallway to bedrooms and the foyer. So either way, the sectional would be in front of, or blocking, something.
  • PRO
    D John Design
    9年前
    You need something to warm up the space and the burnt orange color would absolutely do that. The trellis pattern is nice and is a great starting off point.
  • nicolediane
    9年前
    I would add blue with your existing colors.
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    Start with the art (noticeably missing from the room). Use it to inform your color palette.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I wouldn't have picked yellow as the primary color, but I love that! What about the room from the other angle facing the tv wall? What can be done with that wall? I uploaded that photo in one of the first comments. I like the idea of a live plant in the corner. Any other ideas?
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    This room probably deserves a Noguchi table in walnut:
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Love the table. Would like to have something I could store the throw blankets in though. What do you think about adding an acrylic chair to the open corner to square off the living space from the hallway?
  • PRO
    Anne Stahl
    9年前
    I love neutrals too. And that gives you the great luxury to add a splash of color with things you can move around and change out more easily - thus making it possible for you to change the look and feel rather easily and quickly. As an artist, of course my first choice would be to add a minimal but colorful painting (or print). Good art isn't cheap, but SOOOO worth it. Next I would probably use some really fresh colors and high quality materials for pillows, throws. Like a pure wool, textured pillow case that works with the artwork. I think I would keep the rug color neutral, but something to add texture, maybe a shaggy or knobby wool rug. This also adds comfortable warmth. I've attached an image of a super color neutral room with one of my own paintings (as a print). But you need to find art that speaks to you! Just search Houzz for something you can connect with. Good luck!
    Oceano, Limited Edition Signed Print, 18"x22" · 詳細
  • PRO
    Anne Stahl
    9年前
    Lamb Fur Wool Pillow (Set of 2) · 詳細
    or
    Faribault Wool Pillow Cover, Border Stripe · 詳細
    or
    Blu Dot Nana Pillow, Grey · 詳細
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    Sorry it took so long. I had the palm tree on hand, but it took awhile to find the right art. This is a Jean-Michel Basquiat print from art.com. The one above the sofa is by Robert Motherwell, also from art.com.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    @groceraxle, love it! It helps to see the images as I'm a visual person, so thank you! What do you think about curtains over the French doors to add more color and texture? You agree?
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    I'd prefer to see a chair that someone might like to lounge in. West Elm's Oliver chair is pretty small.
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    I would not do curtains over the French doors. You don't need any more color and texture than a rug and pillows and art. Your room is very contemporary. Don't start getting fussy with it or you'll lose that simple elegance.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I would love to find a patterned armed chair but most I have seen look too big. I like the one you inserted. What program do you use to insert these items? It's such a helpful tool!
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    Different art, different palette:
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    Amber, I use Photoshop Elements.
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    You have such a cushy reclining sofa, that if you use a chair, it needs to be a comfy-looking armchair. Don't want it to look like the time-out chair. If you can't find a comfortable one that fits, I think you're better off with none.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I like that the new palette incorporates the burnt orange color. Not sure how I feel about the rug. I like the color but it looks a little traditional.

Do you use photoshop elements 11 or 12? Or does it matter? Seriously thinking about purchasing it.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9年前
    These rugs will look nice too.I agree with groveraxie.A beige or red will look nice.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Lovely room, Amber! I like minimalist look and neutral palette, it will make any colors pop.
    If orange is your choice, here are a few artwork ideas. We have a lot in other colors too.
    Or check out our ideabook called Earth Tones and Neutral Colors Art for more images.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8172278/thumbs/earth-tones-and-neutral-colors-art
    Enjoy!
    Raisa
    Earth Tones and Neutral Colors Art · 詳細

Blooming Desert No 1, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg - canvas art, art print · 詳細

Indian Summer, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · 詳細

Reflection With Sun, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · 詳細

Multicolored Fractured Reality, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · 詳細

City Graffiti, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg - fine art print · 詳細
  • bgfuqua
    9年前
    be sure a bit of your accent color is in the kitchen - it needs just a touch or two.
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    Amber, I use Photoshop Elements 4. It's way past time to upgrade. LOL
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    You can do anything you want if you let your art inform your palette.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9年前
    I like a rug in the orange tones to give your room a pop of color.
  • doctornancy
    9年前
    Another direction is to stay monochromatic and add just a teensy bit of color.
  • mureen
    9年前
    Groveraxel nice work. My vote is the yellow ish rug with the quiet art work and the chair. Love the glass coffee table. All of these things are just concepts and could be easily sourced with some patience. Think about tj max, overstock,etc. the orange rug got too loud. I love the simplicity and elegance.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks everybody! There are some great options for sure! I really appreciate all the help! Keep it coming!
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9年前
    You have built a beautiful home. Here is a suggestion to add slight color to the walls for accent piece. Water walls are not only pleasing to the eye but they also help clean the air by attracting dust particles.
    Check out more at http://www.luxewaterwalls.com/

Wall Water Fountain For Living Room · 詳細

80" Wide Wall Fountains in Various Clients Homes · 詳細

28" Water Walls in Various Homes · 詳細

Water Wall For Clients Home · 詳細
  • PRO
    Kimba Hills
    9年前
    @Amber Ivey, great space! And launching from a color scheme of neutrals is just perfect, as you can mix it up whenever you like, switching out accent pillows and throws when you feel compelled to do so. I'd suggest a pop of color in the rug - a deep orange or rich, subdued red. I also think a wonderful navy would be incredibly sophisticated. A low cocktail table would be excellent, possibly round and either glass- or marble-topped, to lend a bit of texture. I've attached a couple photos that might give you some creative inspiration!
  • PRO
    Kimba Hills
    9年前
    Here are the photos! Didn't load the first time.
  • soto01
    9年前
    Love doctornancy's photo, keeping it neutral! Also, what do you think of some contemporary cabinetry on either side of the TV (storage for DVDs, TV components, etc.). Put either contemporary mirrors (to bring in some light) or artwork over them.
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thoughts on any of these rugs...?
  • Sue
    9年前
    I have been following your dilemma! Learning a Lot! Beautiful home BTW! I like the idea of a rug and accent pillows with a little more color. U said u prefer neutrals...how about stay with a neutral and a dark dusty/ icey blue? Grey and dusty blue are cool together!
  • Amber Ivey
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    @Sue- thanks for the kind words! I agree that the blue goes well with the gray. However, that's the accent color we went with in the master bedroom. Not to say we couldn't do blue in both. But was exploring different color options. I was thinking yellow??? I keep going back to grays/neutrals. I do plan to add color with art and pillows once I decide on a rug. It's been a struggle... I just can't decide and I have a hard time envisioning the finish product.
  • Sue
    9年前
    I know, nothing out there to choose from! Lol! The grey and yellow is a great idea! Find yourself a rug you like and just go with it! If u ask me it seems u have good taste and as long as u like it, that's what counts!
  • doctornancy
    9年前

How about a follow-up photo? We'd love to see what you decided.

• shelral
    9年前

This is a beautiful space. Choose two awesome art pieces. I think orange and/or reds will pop in this space. You can then choose a plain textured rug in a matching colour. Also, take one of the colours into the kitchen to unite the two spaces. Blessings.

• shelral
    9年前

You should probably choose orange.

• Lees B
    7年前

You've got a cream colored sofa with what looks like light gray walls. They clash in the photos. Repaint the walls. The sofa, honestly, was just not a good choice for the space that you have, so now that you have the sofa and you can't return it, you're going to have to adjust the rest of your house to try to make it work. White is fine, but you need a warmer white. Your floor will probably be ok once the wall color is fixed, I think it's neutral enough to go either way, probably it will look better with a warmer wall color, too. I'm not sure how all of that's going to look with the colors going on in your kitchen, so watch for that. Add a lot of warm neutrals for texture, there is no need to add a bunch of color when it's not what you like. The sectional needs a rug and coffee table, I'd pick warm neutrals. Pick one non-neutral color and use only a tiny bit of it. Don't add a bunch of gray around that cream couch, that is only making the sofa clash worse.

• PRO
    Transilvania Art
    7年前

Take advantage of our 20% coupon at http://www.mixedmediapainting.org/shop-now and invest in original durable art. Thank you.

• PRO
    Furnishr
    7年前

I agree. Your home needs some color, I also think you should include paintings to make it more exciting. Inserting a rug also is a good idea and you should go for it.