Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

How do you make a rented space feel like home?

If you're not allowed to make any drastic changes, what could you do to make your flat or house feel more like your own?

Are there any renters out there? How have you personalised your homes?

Notting Hill Townhouse · 詳細

コメント (38)

• pavinia
    9年前
    Cushions, artwork and books!
  • kcdg
    9年前
    If you can paint, I used paint to make areas look drastically different. For example in my bedroom I changed a wall from dark brown to black. Just one wall color made the room look completely different.
  • Laurie
    9年前
    I'm a big fan of accent walls. it's less work and, if you have to paint your walls back to white when you leave, it will save you a lot of time down the road! I also like bold curtains. in my bedroom I have a light blue/ grey accent wall, dark brown grommet curtains held up by a thick brown curtain rod and a nice dark brown bedroom set. In the living room I have white grommet curtains to brighten up the space and an accent rug
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9年前
    Use neutral colors and comfortable furniture that's not worn. I think as a rental property owner, furnishing new (meaning less hand-me-down pieces) can command a higher price.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9年前
    Interesting that you are using Kelly Hoppen's home as an example of a rental! However, I have had to rent many times and personalize within constraints.TIps I learned:1. Focus on the soft furnishings such as curtains and sofas and cushions and rugs. 2. Add large pictures where you can using either museum railings (which are easier to remove and move images as they are tracks along a cornice4. Change out light fixtures but change them back when you leave5. If you really cannot stand the colour in a room - then add 2x4 frames and cover them with canvas and paint; or batting and fabric. Then push them up into the wall space so they are squeezed in. (You have to allow for outlets and switches though...6. There are a number of ideabooks on rentals here on Houzz with very good ideas
  • charliebeth
    9年前
    When I was renting apartments, I hung chandeliers on huge standing hooks, added big rugs and large artwork, especially on walls where I wasn't allowed to paint. I will add though, that almost every apartment I did live in, I left it much better than I found it, and the landlord approved my paint colors before I painted. I generally rented very old 1920s style buildings as they had so much charm, but just needed a little "lipstick and rouge."
  • Sian Meades
    9年前
    I'm lucky that our landlady covered our flat with gorgeous parquet flooring before she moved to Australia, so we've had a good foundation to work with. The rest is all bright cushions, books, artwork that I've got permission to hang. Anything that you can take when you move - it means I buy more vintage and one-off pieces so that's no bad thing!
  • PRO
    Morantz Custom Cabinetry Inc.
    9年前
    personalized accessories, a portable free standing wine rack filled with bottles of your favorite wines, freestanding bookshelves that lean against wall, then add lots of freinds,love and its your home :)
  • o uch
    9年前
    Well, you could dress up your windows and bed. Colorful, patterned curtains and bed sheets are an easy way to personalize your space without doing anything drastic. Also wall decals and wallpaper( the ones you can peel off easily when you have to move without damaging the walls). You could maybe do an accent wall if you don't want to be overwhelmed by patterns.
  • Sigrid
    9年前
    If your walls are white, toothpaste is the classic student spackle.
  • PRO
    Mendota Hearth
    9年前
    We find that shower curtains are a great way to completely transform a bathroom - they're easy to change out, too!
  • PRO
    Dovetail Kitchen, Bath & Home Inc
    9年前
    Use any item that is not nailed down to transform your space to your taste. Lamps, artwork, colorful comforters, decorative pillows, a fun rug. Buy at least one great piece of furniture that is really comfortable and you can't wait to relax in after a long day at work. All these things you can take with you when you move.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9年前
    Same as if you own the flat except you can't change the white walls ? well, nice furniture and pops of colours !
  • yomarg1
    9年前
    When I first moved from PA to near LA, I rented. Used the previously mentioned colorful duvets on beds, and a wine rack I still have-it's a piece of furniture. Had to buy a smaller sofa, but now that I have a house, I use it in my office, where it's a perfect fit. Lucked out in that a custom cornice from my old house fit on my living room window, and had the bedskirt that matched my master duvet made into a valance, as my 4 poster was too high for it. Had racks for my wine glasses put under the kitchen cabinets, and used some of my larger china pieces as decoration on the tops. I even had a handyman put a grab bar outside my shower-the place had 2 bathtubs, no stall shower. (??) The day before I left, I had the local handyman come in and remove,patch, and paint everything I did ! (I'm in my 70's) Took him 2 hours, worth every penny !
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9年前
    Painting, art work, accessories, etc always make a place feel like home. Even if you can't knock down walls or do any major changes, these help to bring your own personality and style into the space.
  • denniskight
    9年前
    My philosophy when it comes to painting the walls of a rental property is it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. At the end of your lease, if the landlord still insists, then simply repaint back to the original color.
  • Sauve
    9年前
    The first thing I did when I entered an new place was to go to the local Sherman Williams and get as many paint chip cards that I thought might be the colors of paint on the walls. Then I would match the paint, cut the chip with the reference number or note it on the back in pencil, then scotch tape it to the wall along the base board in an inconspicuous place. This way if I needed to patch a molly bolt hole or repair a child's artistic endeavor I had the paint reference readily available.

When I was going through my Country Living period, I liked to hang a quilt or quilted wall hanging near the entrance. I always made an entry way even where one did not exist. I would change out light fixtures sometimes installing lightweight ceiling fans. I once purchased some white plastic ceiling fans then when to Micheals and bought some spray paint that had a texture with it. I lightly sanded the plastic and sprayed the housing and blades. The effect was immediate. They went from looking like cheap plastic outdoor fans to looking like more expensive artisan crafted fans. You can also change out the light fixtures and the blades on the fans that are already in the rental. I changed out the light and electrical plates sometimes. I always changed out the kitchen pulls.

If the paint is washable you can fabric a wall by using starch. When you leave you just dampen the edge of the cloth and pull it away from the wall without any damage. Then it is just a light going over with a sponge mop and clear warm water to remove residue.

Finally, don't push every bit of furniture against the walls. It helps if you try to realize that you are going to be in an smaller living space so collect smaller furnishings. If you don't know your style, then find one piece of art or furniture or pattern you love and work from there. Using Houzz is a great resource also. If you find you have a lot of inherited furnitures that don't match consider refinishing them or painting them because furniture can be renovated also.
  • nosim
    9年前
    ART. Visit IKEA for personalized and inexpensive options. When I was a student, it was my haven for decorating.
  • Tracy
    9年前
    My tenants always decorate better than I did when I lived in each house. I finally figured out why. They layered. Rugs, couch, white curtains, art and plants. Then lamps and knick knacks and books. Layering the textures and color works in any space.
  • toomanycats12
    9年前
    I happen to find folding screens so useful: focal points, headboards, room dividers, backdrop for a serving area, to hide anything (even a bad view). orientalfurniture.com has some amazing screens, 2-sided, 4-panel, oversized, etc., at very good prices (I'm contemplating a silver snake screen right now myself). However, my first reaction is, wow, you have a great room there! (for what it's worth, in the Yaletown Loft, I don't like the lamps or perhaps it's the shades and the same height. I'd add perhaps an arc lamp and something tall in the corner just off the top of my head.
  • foursweetens
    9年前
    Vinyl wall art--words, phrases, quotes, & even murals--works great for rental spaces because it easily adheres to walls, cabinetry, mirrors, etc. and can be removed just as easily without doing damage to the surface. Wallwords.com is a great site that offers customizable options.
  • Taren Heerden
    9年前
    I like to do an accent wall and/or use pops of color. A couple bright accessories go a long way. I tried a striped wall in our rental
  • condomary
    9年前
    @Sigrid, I used toothpaste long past my student days ;-)
  • PRO
    Luxe Architectural
    9年前
    A great way to make a rental feel like home is with ready to install temporary / removable door and wall moulding kits (available online). They can be removed with minimal to no damage and reinstalled in your new place! :) Attached are before & after pictures just sent in to us by one of our customers in New York.
  • msdalot
    9年前
    The first thing I do when moving into a rental is change out the hardware in the bathrooms on all of the cupboards, and kitchen. It instantly personalizes the space and is a great way to add color to any local. Thrift stores are great places to shop for seasonal accessories. Area rugs and large art pieces are great statement pieces. I also focus on the outdoor living space for an oasis all my own.
  • Lily Choi
    9年前
    A rug that is personalised to my taste always makes or breaks a home for me.
  • User
    9年前
    Used to rent. Covered the ugly carpets with rugs. Changed everything I was allowed to.
  • PRO
    Iron Rose Home
    9年前
    Hi, I'm renting right now, and first thing I did was to change the curtains in the bedroom, and add dry flower arrangements in the windows. Wicker baskets, art, cushions can also add plenty of personality. I love covering many things with twine, like lamp shades, flower pots, vases, shelving rails etc. It adds so much rustic / nautical style. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Rug Zone
    9年前
    It has to be a big rug with large cushions and throws to make it feel you own the space.
  • PRO
    Maud interiors
    9年前
    Cushions, floor cushions, rugs, throws, sheepskins, baskets, large sculptural plants and artwork will all help to add interest and personalise a rented flat.
  • renternomad
    9年前
    We rent unfurnished, so always have our own furniture around us.

I don't go in TOO much for the soft furnishings (rugs, cushions, curtains, throws), as they are cluttersome and really interefere with a low-maintenance life. Moreover, sadly, my posters, paintings and photographs have had to stay in storage for about five years, due to increasing fussiness by landlords/ -ladies about holes in the walls. HOWEVER, it is crucial to have ENOUGH of your own things around you, so that the web of YOUR things covers over a space which is, essentially, not yours. Minimalism has definite limits. Our last place had revolting dull mustard yellow walls, which definitely needed covering! Bookcases (with books!), a folding screen/ room divider, tension rods to create hanging rails, and one big rug (for the sitting room) come with us everywhere, like the interior of some sort of nomad's yurt!

Seasonal and fresh decorations are another way to decorate a temporary home, and they leave only biodegradable waste, rather than broken MDF or shattered plastic! Leaf-skeletons on a string and rosehip-studded twigs (snap off the thorns!) for autumn (Fall). Holly, ivy and dried wildflowers for winter. Fresh wildflowers for spring and summer. Herbs in the kitchen.
  • Tony McIntyre
    9年前
    Well, I rent out 5 houses across the uk and Ireland. I let my tenants do whatever they want. Before one of my tenants moved out they put a brand new kitchen and bathroom in! That was a major plus
  • renternomad
    9年前
    That was astoundingly generous on their part.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    8年前

Artwork and other types of hanging decor. Nobody wants to repaint before they move out :)

• beatanewell
    8年前

Somethg for me ,something for my daughter and something for our 2 dogs ,we all bringing stuff home ,even stick can be decoratiom for one day!

• PRO
    User
    7年前

I've personalised our space with art, textiles and lots of personal items collected from travels and markets. We love it and our landlord loves it too! Check out my "open plan living" project for more pictures.

Open Plan Living · 詳細

• HouzzUser-135128557
    2年前

I'd say, spruce up your home and give it a personalised touch. I recently bought 3 personalised city prints for our B&B which has a connection of my and my wife's hometown

https://tessagalloway.com/