Houzz Logo Print
taniamelis

Should I add another bench to our walkway?

taniamelis
9年前
My husband and I disagree, he thinks would should add another bench and place it against the wall so that it faces the existing bench. I disagree with him but would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer!

コメント (173)

• taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Kimba Hills: thank you!!
  • jgirl566
    9年前
    Yes for sure. It would be more balanced to the eye.
  • PRO
    Kimba Hills
    9年前
    You're welcome! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I will! Ordered this door mat yesterday and went to Home Depot to get information on new doors ($hocker) we need to check out several more places before we make the final decision.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The door mat measures: 24x57" should be perfect.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    Awesome mat!.. will co-ordinate well with your planters & any colour doors.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Leona Malone: thank you!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    I am in the process of redoing my master bedroom right now & haven't had the time or energy to even chose the decor yet. Too much sanding, painting & vacuuming DUST! Oh well a good
    excuse to do a complete late spring cleaning. Plus it's time to do the veggie garden, annual planters, weeding , etc. What was I thinking.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Leona: have you posted your bedroom project on Houzz?
  • makaloco
    9年前
    Great doormat, Taniamelis! Good luck with the doors.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    @taniameliis ..no I have not posted my bedroom pic on Houzz. I am still technically challenged! I haven't taken the time to learn to put pics on my computer.. 5 grandchildren who live very close by have taken up a lot of my time lately. My son's kids are on their 4th bout of the flu.. it is a strange flu that comes back.. I am going to try & find the time & get my very busy daughter to show me how.
    It is so much easier to make suggestion to others but when it comes to your own decor it is very challenging .. always questioning your choices.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9年前
    You can always paint the door or even stain it.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Leona Malone: I hear ya! I'm not the most technologically savvy person either but it's so much easier (posting photos) on my iPad. I've got 2 grands that live close by, thankfully no flu this year but they sure are a handful (6yr old and 3 yr old) I love to see them come through the door but it's equally refreshing to wave bye bye....lol. One more thing, I'm always "questioning my choices" but everyone has been very helpful, I now have a vision to work on, may take the rest of the year (or longer) but at least I'm on the right track!
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Comwest Construction: we need new doors as the current ones are old, not energy efficient and they open inwards instead of outward (we'll be able to qualify for a discount from our insurance as well) Once we purchase the new doors then we'll paint them a pretty shade of blue and perhaps the bench as well.
  • Tabitha Baker
    9年前
    Yes
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I'm moving right along with the front walkway, will post photos of new doors and bench once they are painted. Now we're ready to order a wall fountain, any suggestions as to color of fountain? I'm posting a few candidates. Not sure if we should go for a more grey or bronze/earth tone color. I would love as much input as possible! The fountain would go on the wall facing the bench (we already bought a longer slightly better looking bench which will be painted to match new front doors)
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Will be using Genevieve's idea of this color for bench+door.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    Questions??
    How tall are the wall fountains?
    Will the bench be painted both colors?
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The fountains are between 29-31" and we would place it under the light fixture (we bought a new fixture that is black, looks much nicer than the old one)
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Yes, the new bench will be painted that same shade of blue (I accidentally posted that photo twice)
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    I think the 1st fountain (grey... being darker than your wall) would be nice. Would need to check the wall color with it.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks Leona, that's what I'm leaning towards myself. I'm going to post photos of the new doors once they are painted (along with new bench, light fixture, etc)
  • Stacey
    9年前
    I like the second fountain. The charcoal color goes with the trim and there is a touch of blue verdigris in there to a accent the blue bench.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    That's the one my husband favors, let's see if I get more responses!
  • btrollinger
    9年前
    Can't wait to see the pictures once complete. It will be like a new home!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9年前
    i like 1 and 2
  • csevene
    9年前
    my vote is for fountain #2 ...
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Taa daa! What do you guys think? Genevieve: I took your suggestion of paint color and ran with it!
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    One more photo.
  • makaloco
    9年前
    Gorgeous!! I love that shade of blue, and those flowered cushions on the bench are perfect with it.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I followed most of the suggestions you guys provided: switched out the light fixture, added the wall fountain, added the longer bench (in place of shorter one)and longer welcome mat as well by the door. Also removed the small welcome sign above the door, painted both bench and doors with that beautiful shade of blue...
    Thanks again for all the input everyone provided, much appreciated!
  • PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    9年前
    Love the transformation! Way to go :)
  • bennnie
    9年前
    What color did you use on the door? I've been searching for just the right shade of blue for my entrance and your's looks great.
  • anne dee
    9年前
    Looks wonderful!
    Very inviting.
    I like the symmetry of the plants flanking the front door! :-)
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Bennie: the color is called "Oceanside" and it is from Sherwin Williams
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    Awesome!! Love the color combination with the accent pillows. Very welcoming . Just one tweek.. could you center the mat in front of the double doors. I know... fussy. LOL. With your new doors you will be very cozy this winter. If you are interested you could add a pot of flowers on the edge of the step to the right with some orange flowers to echo the orange pillows.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Moved the welcome mat over as you suggested. Thanks for the other suggestion as well Leona, will keep that in mind!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    You are welcome. Is hubby happy with the changes? What is that folding piece on the door frame?
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Leona: yes, my husband is thrilled with the changes and agrees with you about adding some sort of potted plant/flowers in the same area you mentioned. What you're asking about are the accordion hurricane shutters, we live in south Florida, luckily (so far) we haven't had to use them!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9年前
    That's great that hubby is taking an active interest. Haven't heard of that type of shutter. Are you able to grow flowering plants year round??
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9年前
    Late to be joining this party, but a few thoughts..., perhaps to use with husband?? People usually go for symmetry when what they really want to achieve is balance. That's a little harder to achieve, but worth the effort. When using symmetry, I think no more than two pairs, three at most in a good size room, should be in one "room", in general. Definitely only one bench because you already have double doors and identical flanking plants. (The existing bench looks a bit small in scale, particularly height of back, thickness of legs, etc.) If you had two benches, you would be cutting the space for visitors waiting to enter the house to too narrow a space. The one bench should be on the wall farthest away from the door used. (I assume you don't open both doors for people to enter.). This will give visitors unimpeded space to wait for you to come to the door and have them enter. In general, I think it is more typical to err by placing too small an item on a wall, than too large.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9年前
    It is a beautiful entry if you did nothing. But since you asked . . . No bench has been decided and I concur. How about a larger piece of abstract metal art. It would balance the space some, but not too much. I hope you find the perfect light for that space.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9年前
    Oops! You did get the perfect light! Beautiful space.
  • motupeg
    9年前
    How fun! Love what you did.
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Leona Malone: yes, we are able to grow flowering plants year round here in south Florida. I love it, just not the fear of hurricanes each year, that, I could live without!
  • taniamelis
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I want to thank everyone for your positive comments, praise, and input, you have been more help than you'll ever know! Our front walkway looks fabulous and we're happy with it. That's it for project$ this year. Good night and take care.
  • tammydavies
    9年前
    Wow, great improvement. We updated our cramped front door/entry with a gorgeous door with beveled glass and a working sidelight. It makes the front porch another welcoming room.
  • tammydavies
    9年前
    Hmm, the door pix didn't show the first time
  • ideabook222
    9年前

Mirror over the bench. Narrow console under the light. Replace the light.

• kaywestmaas
    8年前

POSTED JUNE 2014