Houzz Logo Print
baaberg

Kitchen flooring

baaberg
9年前
What do you suggest for kitchen & great room flooring. We have a lab who lives indoor too. We have engineered wood & we're told that the reason it is loosing the grain is due to wear & should have been resurfaced every 5 years??? Never knew that!

Any suggestions?

Barb
Flooring
Tile or wood

コメント (7)

• PRO
    Dan's Custom Hardwood Floors
    9年前
    The upkeep of wood flooring is directly affected by the overall usage. But to keep them looking great and to perform at an optimum level, the finish layer needs to be maintained and periodically recoated (not resanded).
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9年前
    Yep. Dan has it there. Hardwood floors often require something called a buff and coat. This is an "in-between" step prior to a full sand and refinish. A buff and coat is often done between year 7-year 12 (or so). This holds true for engineered hardwood as well - they are finished in the same finish as solid hardwoods...so the logic here is the same. A high traffic/wearing hardwood (engineered or otherwise) might require early intervention = year 5.

Ideally the buff and coat should be done prior to the finish wearing all the way through. So long as you catch it before it hits "wear through" you can do the buff and coat. This involves a quick/light sanding to ruff up the finish...but not to take it off. Then a coat or two of high end finish (preferably one that is compatible to the finish on your floor) is then applied. This treatment should get you through another group of years before a full sand/refinish must occur.

If you are seeing wea through (raw, exposed wood), you will need to have the floor sanded and refinished. The buff and coat will be wasted.

To reduce the wear, please remember to trim pet nails 2-4 PER MONTH. This will greatly reduce the amount of wear you are seeing (could cut it by half). Please check what is being used to clean the floor (names of chemicals used would be helpful). Not many people realize that certain chemicals cause early wear on hardwood finishes.
  • PRO
    Signature Custom Flooring LLC
    9年前
    Another thing you can do to protect the floor from getting scratched up from the dogs nails is to put caps on the nails.
  • baaberg
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The finish is not wearing out. Only areas where grain is present that is wearing down to the natural wood. I was told that this could not be sanded and that the area where the grain is slowly disappearing could be filled and then the entire floor would have to be restrained. This was told to me by a floor refinisher I also have asked numerous people who have both wood and engineered wood floors and none have ever been told to have their floors buffed etc every few years. I had hardwood floors in an older home and never had to have any service to maintain their wearability

So really need a better explanation. Actually dogs does not add to wear of my floor
  • PRO
    Dan's Custom Hardwood Floors
    9年前
    Maintenance is not required it's more of a way to protect your investment by actually not having to refinish the floor so often. If the product is wood whether solid or engineered construction, you should be able to refinish them.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    9年前
    Wood always wins these polls. Wood flooring should not have to be resurfaced every 5 years. A lab won't cause that much damage, even with long nails.
  • baaberg
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I was told that floor had to be resurfaced every 5 years. That makes warranty invalid! Only damage is in the grain of wood engineered flooring. Also not in heavy traffic area. Appears damaged in various areas?

I think porcelain tile would be the answer for low maintenance and durability. As far as dog goes, there are no deep scratches on the floor.

So I am thinking tile is the answer!