Houzz Logo Print
cjbandit74

Living room make over- need help please!

Hi!!

I am in the process of updating my living room and need some advice, as I am in a complete stand still as what to do next.
This is what I have done so far-
Painted the wall BM Bar harbor to lighten/brighten the room and purchased a sectional sofa in a light color to blend in and try to make the room bigger.
Replaced the fee standing white mantel electric fireplace with a 50" contemporary linear electrics fireplace.

I just added this bronze finished mirror above the sectional (love this mirror) but not sure if this is the right placement. I'm concerned now that I have 2-focal points (the fireplace wall) and now the mirror which seems like too much in this small room.
1) Should I leave the mirror on the wall? If yes, what do you suggest I put on the sides of it (any pics greatly appreciated)

2) I can't decide on a color scheme for this room- I picked up the two throw pillow- charcoal,grey- but now I'm not sure what other color accent pillow would look nice with them- feel like they are somewhat limiting??
I love corals and greens and navy blues- but just not sure how to tie it all in??
Suggestions on color schemes, pillows, curtains welcome,,,
3) Di I need an area rug I'm afraid it's going to make the space smaller?

4) Any suggestions for fire place wall should I paint it an accent color? Or make it more decorative with a fire place mantle shelf?
I would love to put stack stone on it but I don't have a faux chimney breast,, any ideas here?

5) Suggestions for walls opposite the sofa?

6) suggestions for what to put behind the front door- don't want a coat rack b/c don't want to see all the kids/guests coats- don't have any place to display stuff- photos, decorations- not sure how to dive that one?? Maybe coffe table ottoman

Please Help

コメント (1,154)

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi!!!

Yes, I will post picture of coffee table I like the best. Will navy footstools be neutral enough if I change thinks up later on?? And it would look fine when there not in use keeping them under the window!! That would be great!
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Here's the coffee table I had I mind,,, what do u think?
  • J D
    7年前

Hey Christina...I think that ones perfect. Not too heavy looking and love the wood and metal details. So is it the size you and julie discussed earlier (or did you guys discuss this?)?

Julie do you like this coffee table?

• J D
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I think navy can go w plenty of other color schemes....more versatile than coral or yellow etc. Plus, you can reupholster them or slipcover them if you want a different color. But id wait to get the coffee table and then you can decide if you'd like to add more navy, seating, and texture.

Julies idea of both footstools and coffee table wouldn't work w this coffee table...the footstools could be stored underneath this table. And I think the footstools might look like too much furniture into too small a space if they aren't stored underneath the coffee table.

• J D
    7年前

Have you layed out clothing or tape in the size/dimensions of the table where the table would go??

Didnt see your last message about my school...it's great! Master's program starting in February! Soooo excited:)

glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm so sorry that happened!!....stair runner so that it never happens again for sure lol!

• J D
    7年前

Regarding the wall in the kitchen, I wouldn't add anything just yet. I think that once you change the chandelier, put shades on the windows??, curtains on the doors, get a tall centerpiece, get in the furniture, etc etc, you will have enough going on and MIGHT not need anything on that wall. If you still want something there in the end, id say a round/oval mirror or a specialty shaped mirror like a hexagon or something (basically not a square or rectangular mirror). Either that, or three or so smallish pieces of flower artwork...well not necessarily floral but something somewhat simple and not busy.

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Jordan

Glad school is going well and almost at the home stretch
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Gosh Jordan my whole post was lost
    I will try to do this in so many words and a few short posts
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The coffee table is the correct size based on Julie's measurements- are you thinking the foot stools won't work with coffee table b/c it will be to crowded?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I was thinking the neutral foot stools would blend in more
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    As far as the kitchen table it arrives on Friday-will post a pic for you- did measure it out with masking tape
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I found a pic I love with a similar set up and will post it- would like something like this look
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Julie also suggested a beautiful large wall plaque but may be to expensive/ here's a pic
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    This is the one Julie found
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Can you please tell me the. name of a natural product that's like scotch guard or guardsman with out all the toxic chemicals? You suggested something way back and I can't find it?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Bayes fabric protector....it is the only one that is water based....

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks Julie
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The beautiful wool inspired stair treads from amazon were not the right depth. Still hoping to find them b/c my husband doesn't like the idea of installing g a runner or doing it himself. I know Julie gave me the option of clear stair treads
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi ladies!!!

Table is here- want to show u some pics s of it-this is shown with the leaf taken out. Julie do you how where I get a glass top and if it how to measure for it?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    More pics
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Oh Christina that is so perfect!...love the chairs and the fabric seats are great...love the color:)) it looks so charming already and it is not even done yet!

Call any local glass company and they will come out and measure for you and give you an estimate.

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Jordan : )

Did you get my post- did you see the table?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie and Jordan...

Just checking in?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie and Jordan

Trying desperately to touch base with you/
    Please let me know if your getting my messages.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Hey Christina..so sorry was in Denver and than family is in town until Saturday...what do you need girlfriend I am here and you can send email too...I will check back tonight before bed and can be in touch in the am:)) no worries I promise I won't leave you hanging:))

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Have to send in 2 posts so I don't get cut off
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Cut off again
    Will try to send u an e-mail but concerned your not getting them?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    My table width is 39" (I read u have to subtract 12") for right width of chandelier
    So I ordered smaller chandelier at 27.75"
    Bigger one was 33.5"- was I right?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Also concerned about the kitchen being too dark- and thinking the woven blinds will make it feel darker : ( the lighting not great in there... any other options?
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    And lastly- need to know what size curtains for my slider ikat and if I go with grey/white how many for slider b/c don't think they have custom size on that one?
    Desperately seeking art for that back wall and stools- that's it in a nutshell
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Good Morning!

great call on the chandelier I looked at the sizes last night and 33" would hVe been to large..the small size is perfect!!

ok windows...do you need privacy on that one kitchen side window? If you like it open to get light you could just forgo any blind or shade...but if the windows are all seen from front of house it should all be the same...hmmm

you can only do a doublewide on slider for it to look and work properly...I will look at the options again and get right back with you...promise...:))

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie

Yes I do need the option of privacy for both the side window in LR and kitchen windows
    Not sure what to do- love the woven blinds but really thinking it's gonna be too dark in the kitchen. Any ideas for different color woven or other ideas
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Why not just go with a gray or white woven shade? Nantucket white wicker is very pretty! Take a look at that one....no lining to keep filtered light but still have privacy....otherwise wood blinds:((

love your new profile picture!!!:))

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Hey Christina here if you need me:) my mom is coming to Texas tomorrow so will be pretty busy..I will keep checking in today....

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie : )

I couldn't really find a picture of the wicker white woven shade or find any gray ones?
    Could you send me a picture of what you had in mind? I think Hunter Douglas is out of my budget.
    Can I do dark in LR and light wovens in the kitchen?
    Here's a pic of windows
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Just curious can this sofa be slip covered?
    Want the room lighter??
    If no slip covers maybe I could lighten the room up with a different paint color?
    This color is showing pink under tones?
    What's missing Julie... hmmm
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

We had talked about if when the room is done if you still don't like the paint color....than time to paint!....I would do a white with gray undertones....I have a few I think you will like....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

The room looks great!! My house is dark without inside lighting on..all depends on what direction your home faces:( lighter walls will help but no matter what you will not get anymore light from outside:(

• J D
    7年前
    Julie....so the bamboo blinds....they should be installed as close to ceiling as possible. I have a question though....how can we make sure they lay flat since Christina's window does jut out a bit. Should she use a curtain rod for the shades (as I've seen before) or does it matter?
  • J D
    7年前
    Just wondering for my own knowledge:)) and I guess it would benefit Christina too lol? Haha
  • Maria Spiteri
    7年前
    the living room (sofa room) I would add some highlights of rustic turquoise or duck egg blue because the colour of the wall and the.sofa are too similar. Preferably cushions and coffee table accessories and lamps.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Hi Jordan...usually the bracket can be adjusted to what depth you need for them to hang properly...it is usually just a L bracket..so it can be any distance you need by the size of the L bracket. Hope this helps!:))

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Just did a mini makeover in Texas and they moved the rods up for the drapes and added the woven shades up under the rod..looks great! I will post pic.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Arlington Ranch · 詳細

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Julie & Jordan,

In need of some advice- kitchen beaded chandelier came in and we are wondering if it's too big- the kitchen has a 7 ft ceiling and not sure how low it's suppose to hang??

Please help-
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7年前

Is it longer than 18" for some reason thought you had 8' ceilings??

• Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Jordan
  • Christina Fava
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Jordan- where r u? : )
  • PRO
    Blinds-US
    6年前

ok,,, hi if you need any help regarding window blinds you can contact us anytym !!!!!